Does anyone do meal planning for a few weeks in advance?

I have been toying with the idea of plannign out my meals for a few weeks in advance. Trying to have more time in the evenings to spend time with the family. Does anyone do this & do you have any tips or advice?

juliemoose

Asked by juliemoose at 4:36 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I plan out for 2 weeks at a time, and some nights is leftovers from other nights. It does save time, money, and actually food as well, b/c then I actually use the leftovers (since there is a night planned for them) instead of sticking them in the fridge and forgetting about them until they look like a science project started in 1868. lol However, I do also keep a stockpile of basic food items, such as pastas, sauces, a variety of meats, different veggies, pizza fixings, etc. so that I can change my mind and make something totally off the menu. This doesn't happen very often. But it also helps on a week when money is tight, I can plan some of those things in for that week and save some money.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:46 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• We try to do a min of two weeks. I sit the gang down with my little printed out calendar and we plan out the menu for the two weeks ahead. I then shop for ONLY what is on my list and I go through my coupon binder to get them ready for the shopping trip. It saves me tons of time, tons of money and we always add one day each week to eat out and add one day in the week (usually towards the end of the week) for left overs.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:42 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• no i dont really do that. because i sometimes dont even know what im going to like for dinner the next day. sometimes though i get different stuff for the next 4-6 days. Sometimes i decide in the last minute to just cook something else. So for me it wouldnt be helpful.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:52 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I do.. Twice a Month. I sit down and plan out my Meal list, then make my Grocery list including a spot for snacks, beverages, extras and household products. If I keep to the list I can feed my Family wholesome, home-made meals for 200.00 ( or less) every two weeks. It works out great. I found that when I "winged it".. I would over spend.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:18 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• i do it weekly starting on sun night, and if dh says hey can we have the steak on tues instead of wed i will change it but will only change it sun night when im writting it out. that way if i have to buy something i can do it monday. and dh will know what day is left over night so i get a night off from cooking. i agree if you wing it yu over spend. that and i hate when everyone comes at me " whats for dinner? whats for lunch? now i can say look at the menu lol. i try to work it out with everyone dh and kids. so i dont hear i dont like that. i get i cant wait for thursday. lol.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:10 AM on Feb. 6, 2009