Is it ok to eat chocolate if your nursing?

Bussi

Asked by Bussi at 8:12 AM on Aug. 26, 2012 in General Parenting

• Yes. Having some chocolate for dessert is a wonderful way to treat yourself and is fine while you are breastfeeding. One study showed that it was safe as long as you consumed less than one pound per day. Enjoy.
    ^^per breastfeeding.com
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:20 AM on Aug. 26, 2012

• Yes, it's ok.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:23 AM on Aug. 26, 2012

• It's been a few years, but when i was nursing my doctor told me my diet could be like any other time: eat whatever I want, but use common sense and moderation. She told me the only things I needed to use real caution with were alcohol and medications.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:26 AM on Aug. 26, 2012

• There is some caffeine in chocolate and if your baby is sensitive at all to it, you could be awake all night. I'm not sure it affects all babies, but it did the ones in our family. Also, chocolate can cause indigestion in some people, so if your baby happens to be one of those, not only will you be awake, but he will be uncomfortable enough to be crying. I would try a very small amount at first and see what happens! It's not unsafe, but it might be unwise!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:50 AM on Aug. 26, 2012