Is this normal?

So, I left my BD because he was not a good person and didn't want anything to do with me and low and behold he hasn't even shown interest in my son...I say my because well, he hasn't shown interest...anyway...I know that my son is the most important person in my life and always will be, but when is it good idea to date or even think about dating...I don't want my son to be too involved with the situation because he doesn't need to be exposed to someone who just isn't going to stick around...so my idea is to keep potential "suitors" and my son apart until I feel comfortable enough for them to be in each others' lives...but still...how does one go about this whole dating thing? Maybe I should just go about life and if it happens, it happens? Don't get me wrong, I'm not out looking for anyone...I'm concentrating on my little man in my life...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• Well, I guess that all depends on you sweetie! If you feel like you're ready for dating around, go ahead. You don't have to introduce a new guy into your son's life before you're (and he's) ready. If someone asks you out, you don't need to immediately say, "Well, I have a kid so..." Go out on a date, and if you think he won't run away, mention it. Just make sure you let him know you're not shopping for a daddy at this point in your life.
    It's a good idea to keep them at arms lenght of your son, too, until you're sure it'll turn into a long term relationship.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 8:32 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• How old is your son? How long have you been apart from BD? Do you have yourself together emotionally? How would you react to things not working out with the next person? These are all questions you have to ask yourself, you definitely dont want people in and out of your life as well as your son's. I would just hang out you know, just live life and someone will come along, dont even give him a second of your time if he is not WORTHY, and girl if you havent done so, get some child support, your son deserves that, even if you can take care of him on your own!
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 3:41 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I wouldn't mind child support, but the father is not a good person and if he was forced to pay he'd make it a big deal and try to get joint custody...not saying he'd get it, but I just don't want to go through the unnecessary stress or put my son through something he doesn't need to. I want only good people around my son even though down the line he may not be but for the time being...it's up to me to protect him.
    And I'm not saying I want to date,,,I just don't know...I'm more into the idea of it just happening...I guess I can just think about that "perfect guy"...lol
    Anonymous