Army, marines, air force, and navy? Can someone explain them?

I understand I am an adult an so forth, I should know what they are and all of that, but I don't. I would appreciate help and not rudeness... Please.

I understand that marines is water and air force is air, but what happens when you enlist into each. What is the difference in years? While enlisted do you live on a base? How often do you see family or come home? Can you get married? What happens when you re-enlist? I'm just confused.

Thanks in advance for help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Aug. 26, 2012 in Military

• The United States Coast Guard was originally established as the Revenue Cutter Service in 1790. In 1915, it was reformed as the United States Coast Guard, under the Treasury Department. In 1967, the Coast Guard was transferred to the Department of Transportation. Legislation passed in 2002 transferred the Coast Guard to the Department of Homeland Security. In peacetime, the Coast Guard is primarily concerned with law enforcement, boating safety, sea rescue, and illegal immigration control. However, the President of the United States can transfer part or all of the Coast Guard to the Department of the Navy in times of conflict. The Coast Guard consists of ships, boats, aircraft and shore stations that conduct a variety of missions.

All of the above were taken from : http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/generalinfo/a/military101.htm 

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:13 AM on Aug. 26, 2012

• I think Crafty pretty much covered it -- branches that cover the land, sea and air !!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 3:47 PM on Sep. 2, 2012