Democrats what are you doing to support our president?

Economists from across the political spectrum say the job-creating scope of the plan might already be too small.2 Even John McCain's economic adviser estimates that without the stimulus, unemployment could reach double-digits by next year—the highest levels since the Great Depression.3

President Obama published an op-ed in The Washington Post today taking on opponents of the stimulus.4 He writes:

"In recent days, there have been misguided criticisms of this plan that echo the failed theories that helped lead us into this crisis—the notion that tax cuts alone will solve all our problems; that we can meet our enormous tests with half-steps and piecemeal measures; that we can ignore fundamental challenges such as energy independence and the high cost of health care and still expect our economy and our country to thrive.

continues

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "I reject these theories, and so did the American people when they went to the polls in November and voted resoundingly for change. They know that we have tried it those ways for too long. And because we have, our health-care costs still rise faster than inflation. Our dependence on foreign oil still threatens our economy and our security. Our children still study in schools that put them at a disadvantage. We've seen the tragic consequences when our bridges crumble and our levees fail.

"Every day, our economy gets sicker—and the time for a remedy that puts Americans back to work, jump-starts our economy and invests in lasting growth is now."

CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVES
    Anonymous

• As a fellow Democrat I implore you not to vote for this pork bill for this will hurt us all. Not just one side of the aisle.

Anonymous

• right you are democrat. i love when republicans pretend to be democrats just to inflame questions
    Anonymous

• Support the president give him the opportunity to help us and those in needs. don't fall for republican scare tactics aimed at keeping the poor and middle class down while giving coporate welfare to business.
    Anonymous

• So, what specifically do you agree about this Stimulus?

And how do you think it's implementation will specifically help those who have been laid off of industry/manufacturing (one of largest segment of unemployed)

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:56 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• For your information I voted for our POTUS. I think he is honestly trying to do some good things for this Country and I stand behind him however read this stimulus bill line by line. There are some good points that should stay but there are far too many things that will not help the United States.

Anonymous

• Way too much bologna in it......how can you possibly not see that? scare tactics lol.....some dems stood against this too in the house.
    Anonymous

• I am calling my representatives... and emailing them and faxing them too. I'm not asking them to support this bill; I'm BEGGING them to scrap it.  It's a horrible piece of legislation--filled with pork. It's not going to work.  Everyone has the right to know exactly how the Dems want to spend hundreds of billions of dollars.  Don't just look at the generalizations listed above by the OP, visit this site and do the research for yourself:

http://www.rules.house.gov/111/LegText/111_hr1_text.pdf

Anonymous

• A 5 percent tax cut would allow middle income to start spending again. Many of us are saving our money and not buying stuff. We can afford to buy stuff but want our savings account full just in case. If we had the tax cuts Republicans are proposing we would get a 5000 tax credit for our child and have 220 more a pay period. We could go out to eat and buy stuff which we are not doing now. That means businesses are closing and people are losing jobs. A tax cut would help immediately. What is being proposed is a payback to the people who got Obama elected and will do nothing to help. Some will help but it might be 10 years down the road. Democrats need to listen to Republicans and its own citizens.

Anonymous

• Okay, I am showing my face and everyone knows that I am a Democrat and, as it stands, I do not support the stimulus. Take out some of the pork and we'll talk.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 6:50 PM on Feb. 5, 2009