Your kids ... water bottles in class

what is your little ones class policy???

for kinder and 1st grade my son went to private school the the kids are REQUIRED to have a water-bottle with them, always. not only were they worried about hydration but after the first week of school it's no longer a novelty distraction and it is used as needed, eliminating wasting time for a million trips to the fountain.

son is now going to public school for 2nd and they BAN water-bottles. He's rather freaked out, scared about being thirsty and having dry mouth, not being allowed permission to got get a drink. :(

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 12:23 PM on Aug. 26, 2012 in

• They are allowed to have one (not a twist top, but a drink spout) but the memo on that states that they will only be allowed if they are not a distraction. I didn't know that water bottles could be distracting. Of course, I'm not a teacher so I don't see lots of things they see on a daily basis.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:25 PM on Aug. 26, 2012

• my dd wasn't allowed to have on in class either her first year and she hated it but they had a sink in her classroom and we were asked to bring in those little dixie cups so the kids were allowed to get cups of water often. I think it was wasteful :P Last year they had a fountain right outside their classroom in the hallway and the teacher was WAY too lax with discipline so the kids were always running out to get a drink... we'll see how this next year goes :-/
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 12:26 PM on Aug. 26, 2012

• My DD's public school is "highly recommending" water bottles. Not mandatory but, on the list to bring each day along with a snack.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:26 PM on Aug. 26, 2012

• Our schools are not air conditioned and on really hot days they encourage the kids to have water bottles. Talk to the teacher and explain the circumstance your son was in before and if it is ok. If the teacher says, no, ask if he would be allowed to go to the water fountain when needed. They are pretty forgiving at that age.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 12:27 PM on Aug. 26, 2012

• I have never heard of allowing water bottles in classrooms. Then DD started 1st grade (same school she went to Kindergarten and Pre-school in) and a note was sent home saying we could send them to school with a bottle of water (ONLY water).

I think it is a great idea!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:34 PM on Aug. 26, 2012

• each room has spring water & cups... so it's not really an issue... they can get a drink as needed
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:39 PM on Aug. 26, 2012

• my oldest just started Kindergarten in the public school system and so far i havent heard anything about water bottles at all. a cute Minnie mouse pop top water bottle came with her lunch box and she has a little compartment in her backpack for water bottles so i may start filling it up and sending it with her next week. i guess ill find out then what their policy is lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2012

• All of the kids K-12 have them at our school. There are no drinking fountains and the research shows that less germs are spread with personal water bottles. Each classroom has a water dispenser. I think it is great.

As for your son, I would see how it goes for a couple of weeks. If he gets use to it, then great. If he doesn't then I would ask for a not from his doctor that he needs to have a water bottle or time to get a drink when he needs one.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:08 PM on Aug. 26, 2012

• I've never seen a policy on water bottles at our tiny school. I do know there are drinking fountains in the kindergarten rooms, and there is a water fountain in each hallway, plus sink and running water in many of the other classrooms.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:08 PM on Aug. 26, 2012

• It's up to the Teachers, there's really no policy for them. Our oldest doesn't take one, but when it's really hot the younger 2 take one. As long as it doesn't become a distraction they can keep it at their desk.....
    Both the Elementary and Middle/High schools have central air so it's not hot in the classrooms. The teachers can control the temps of their rooms with their own thermostats so some rooms are cooler than others which in turn helps keep the schools from having heat days.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:33 PM on Aug. 26, 2012