Child Proofing

Looking for all kinds of answers regarding child proofing my home...from the simplest of things like outlet covers and drawer and cabinet latches to anything you might have had experience with. Gimme all you got! I don't want to miss a thing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't believe in full on child proofing. We used cupboared latches on the ones that had cleaning supplies in it, and we had outlet covers and toilet locks...we had a lot of missing toys before we did that one. That's all we did. I don't think going overboard is worth it...It's a waste of money in my oppinion. Follow the kiddo around, that's what we are supposed to do as parents.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 5:04 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• fridge locks, cabinet locks (even if you have drawers on an entertainment center like we do), outlet covers, table corner covers (if you have a square/rectangular table), door knob covers, toilet locks, thats all i can think of at the moment
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 5:04 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• For the cupboard under the sink, where I keep cleaning supplies, I put a wooden spoon through both handles and put one rubber band around one end of the spoon and stretch the band around to the other end or run a shoe lace through the handles and tie it. The doors open only a little. None of my three children have ever been able to reach any of the cleaning supplies. I don't use outlet plugs because my children hardly ever saw me use the outlets. Their fingers were too big to put in the outlets anyway. I use the chain or the deadbolt on the front door so the little one can't get out without me knowing. I even shut the bathroom door. All of my breakable cooking dishes and dinnerware are out of their reach. I have one cupboard for the plastic stuff and one cupboard for my pots and pans. My children have always loved getting into those two cupboards to play and make a mess.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 5:36 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• My daughter shocked herself and it left a burn because she pulled a plug out of a light socket and her hand contacted the metal parts while it was still partly in the outlet. They actually make outlet covers that go over the plugs for appliances. I would buy those for all your outlets that have stuff plugged in but are not covered by furniture.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 5:41 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I didn't do anything other then put a gate up at the bottom of the stairs, closed the bathroom door all the time and put up a few random outlet covers (on the most accessible ones in their room. I moved a few breakable thing with my first because they belonged to my mom who had died so I didn't want them to get broken. And we already had a lock on the cabinet under the sink from the people that lived here before us.
    With my last child I did have to put a lock on the cabinet that the pots and pans were in because she kept getting into stuff and those pans are heavy. But we only had to use it for a few months before she understood she shouldn't play in there. We haven't used it in forever, though.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:39 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I only have locks on one cabinet in the kitchen, the one with the cleaning stuff. Then I have locks on the bathroom cabinet. I also have a lock on the freezer and the dishwasher. I heard a horrible story about dishwashers and I have no idea if it's true, but it scared me! Other than that, I have a few outlet covers, mostly in the boys rooms. And we have a gate in between the kitchen and living room, but that's also for the dog! I didn't really buy a whole lot of things for childproofing, just tried to make sure things were out of their reach.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 6:55 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• The fridge is a must. Otherwise you will be trying to air condition the house with the fridge and bottles and jars will be everywhere.
    If the knobs on your stove are on the front instead of the top, put knob covers on them.
    Toilet locks. Even if your child wouldn't actually drown in one (and that happens), it's just no fun fishing things like toys or your jewerly out of the toilet.
    A simple hook-and-eye lock or other front door lock high up on your front door. Soon enough she'll be pushing chairs around to get to higher things. Figuring out locks will soon follow. A latch at the top of the door is easy to open in an emergency but not reachable by a toddler on a chair.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:00 PM on Feb. 5, 2009