Is an adopted child legally obligated to help his bio family out with medical stuff

like if someone needs a bone marrow transplant or something

he is 31 now and we contacted him for the first time and explained our situation, he told us to stuff it...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Aug. 26, 2012 in Adoption

• no. i was forced to give him up at birth. then, thanks to the magic of facebook and the three things we knew about him, my daughter found him after his little brother got sick.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Aug. 26, 2012

• In a word: No.

The biological family gave up all legal claim to the child when they signed their parental rights away, allowing the child to be adopted in the first place.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:52 PM on Aug. 26, 2012

• No one is obligated.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2012

• I am very sorry that you are going through this, with one of your children being seriously ill. I definitely understand that, as a mom, you want to do anything you can to help him. It sounds like this was your first contact with your child that you placed for adoption, right? I'm just trying to see it from his point of view. Maybe he always wondered what it would be like to talk to his biological family, and if they missed him. Then he gets a message one day, but realizes that you are contacting him because you need something. It kind of disturbs me that you are wondering if he is legally obligated to help, as if you are thinking about trying to force him into a very painful procedure (and a bone marrow harvest is very painful for the donor). Also, be careful about calling yourself his "real" family. Both families are real, and I'm sure he thinks the family he's known and loved his entire life are very real to him.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 5:05 PM on Aug. 26, 2012

• this was my first contact with him, and he had no idea he'd been adopted in the first place. and we are his real family. he was never supposed to go to the other people!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Aug. 26, 2012

• smdh
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2012

• Legally obligated to help out famlly? NO
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:22 PM on Aug. 26, 2012

• He was never suppose to go to the other family? I would be very interested in this story.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:23 PM on Aug. 26, 2012

• i was forced to give him up for adoption in 1981. i was young, the father was a higher up figure in his field.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2012

• yeah, by the miracle of facebook which has been around how long??? You NEED HIM for something so you find him otherwise you never bothered??? Thats really messed up to be honest!

And NO you are NOT his REAL family, you are his biological family, the family that raised him is his real family. I am sorry for your situation I am very aware of the forced adoptions etc however, he did not need to hear from you just because you wanted something from him, you should have tried earlier if this was forced and you wanted to know your son etc. NOT for my other kid that lives with me is sick I need your help.

Your situation is hard I get that, but DO NOT contact him again to ask, you shocked him in a way you would not unerstand by telling him he is adopted at 31 years old.....it does things to families and the person adopted, you could have possibly just ruined the only family he has!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2012