If you have 2 kids in school....

how do you recommend I handle the 1st day off the school-bus when they're both going to be climbing over each other and talking over each other to tell me stuff, ask me things, show me things, etc

I am feeling a bit overwhelmed thinking about it

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 8:49 PM on Aug. 26, 2012 in

• I make them take turns!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:53 PM on Aug. 26, 2012

• Give them both two minutes to tell you what they did (just at first). Whoever gets the first two minutes tomorrow will have to wait their turn the next day. Interrupting is not acceptable. That's what I do with mine when I pick them up at school. I am sure they will both be trying to tell me things at the same time, but I stop them and choose one to speak first. DD is a horrible interrupter and this is a good way for me to remind her that she must wait her turn to speak and I can tell she appreciates it when I do the same thing when DS interrupts as well.

Or, on days I don't want to deal with the fighting I just nod my head and smile and say, 'neat, wow, that's interesting. Tell me more'.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:56 PM on Aug. 26, 2012

• I would make them take turns. If they can't be patient enough to wait through one telling their entire day, then I'd have them tell one thing, then other tells one and so on until they're done.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:56 PM on Aug. 26, 2012

• We also take turns. I'm lucky enough to have my [retired] parents live in our town. One, or both, of them walk the kids home with me whenever schedules allow. We take turns with each kid. I'll walk part of the way with one and a grandparent with the other. Then we switch.

When it's just me (or, depending on work schedules, just grandma) we take turns sharing about our days. I also ask questions that both can take a turn to answer. "L, did you like your new teacher?" when he's done with that specific answer I'll say " What about you M? So, who else was in your class that you knew already?" I guide the conversation so I can ping pong it back and forth off each of them. Sometimes there will be one yelling "It's my turn! You talk too much!" I remind them that we *all* want to hear about each others' day and that we'll all have a turn. It works out.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2012

• I go youngest to oldest, they each get a few minutes for basics and then more time later for anything else.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:28 PM on Aug. 27, 2012