4 year and 1 month old not potty trained

My sister doesn't even work with him she asks him if he has to go and he says no or screams at her and says no and that he is still little so he can't use the potty yet and tells her he will when he gets bigger. (He is the only child). But then she sayd she cannot get him to go on the potty.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on Aug. 27, 2012 in General Parenting

• Your sister might benefit from a parenting class. There are also several good books for toddlers on using the potty. Your concern for this child is obvious (you've posted this a couple of times) so maybe if you buy the books and read them with the child it might help both of you.
    On a side note...although we all parent differently your sister sounds lazy.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:28 AM on Aug. 27, 2012

• Ummm...I've always heard that there's no point in trying to potty train until the child is willing to do it, but wow. Does he have any friends around his age or older that can may peer pressure him into wanting to be a "big boy?"
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:29 AM on Aug. 27, 2012

• My youngest daughter was 4. My son was 3. I don't see the big deal. Obviously being consistent and not letting him run the show is key and he will get it. He's not going to go to prom needing a diaper.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:36 AM on Aug. 27, 2012

• meooma

Lazy??? You have no idea...yesterday they were at my house and he was acting up and when he acts up my 4.5 year old acts up (I think to see what she can get away with since he is getting away with it), but anyway he kept throwing the kids toys all over the place and off the front porch my sister was laying on the couch yelling at him to stop and not once got up. They he goes to the dinner table and there was still food on the table from lunch and he picks some corn bread off the plate (from corn dogs) and he throws it on the floor my sister told him to pick it up he didn't just kept walking and she didn't get up and make him clean it up.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:41 AM on Aug. 27, 2012

He is the oldest kid in the daycare class becuase they can't put him in the preschool room until he is potty trained. My oldest dd is 7 and has been since 19 months old. He has always seen her go potty and he don't want to do it. My middle dd is 4.5 (they are 6 months part) and she has been potty trained since 21 months old and he also sees her. They have a neighbor boy 4 potty trained they take him in when he goes, but he still don't want to do it. My youngest is 13 months old and she has pooped in the potty once and peed 5 times so once in a while i sit her on there and thinking him seeing a baby do it he will want to, but he doesn't
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:46 AM on Aug. 27, 2012

• proom no....but her concern is kindergarden he is suppose to go next year. My DH's cousin's dd would train (they weren't consistant with it either) she was just over 5 when they got her trained.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:48 AM on Aug. 27, 2012

• My son is 4 years and 1 month and has only been fully potty trained for about 6 months now for many of those same reasons. But we did constantly have him on the potty and he knew damn well how to do it he just wouldn't. We finally just took pull ups away during the day completely and bam.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 10:20 AM on Aug. 27, 2012

• ya my sister puts him in a pullup and has since 18 months old the feel in learn ones. She puts him in undies during the day, but as soon as he poops she puts a pullup back on him
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:33 AM on Aug. 27, 2012

• Well, I think if he wants to be "little" he should be treated like he's little.

Only babies wear diapers, and if he wants to be a baby, then he can't have toys that aren't safe for babies, maybe she should try giving him baby food and toddler formula. "Tell him since he's little, she shouldn't be giving him "big boy" things. Only "big boys" get to eat "big boy" foods, only "big boys get to watch "big boy" television, only "big boys" can play with toys meant for 'big boys"....you get the idea.

He will go in the potty when he sees the value of being a Big Boy.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:44 AM on Aug. 27, 2012

• What happened when you took him for a week to get him trained? I guess that didn't go well?

Yes, your description of your sister (calling instructions from the couch) rings true. The whole dynamic has sounded dysfunctional all along. It's not really the pottying situation that is the core issue.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:51 AM on Aug. 27, 2012