My mom says I should feed my 7 1/2month old son more food and less formula, even though he is growing appropraitly. How much food should he be eating?

This is his scheduale:
8AM Wake up
8:30AM 4oz Bottle and breakfast(cereal and fruit, small handful Gerber puffs.)
9:30AM 6oz Bottle
10AM Nap
11AM Playtime
11:30AM Lunch (1/2 stage 3 meal, fruit, 1 Gerber wagon wheel, sippy cup with 2oz juice)
12PM Playtime
1PM 8oz Bottle
1:30PM Nap
2:30PM Playtime
4PM Dinner (Vegetables, 1/2 jar dessert, 1 Gerber biter biscuit, sippy cup with 2oz juice)
6PM Jammies(bath every other day)
7PM Book & 10oz Bottle
8:30PM Bed
The fruit is some diced or mashed peaches / pears / whatever is in the house that he can eat. And the veggie is some diced or mashed green beans / carrots / whatever is in the house that he can eat. It is about the equivelent of 1 jar of stage 2 food.
I think he eats more than enough food. This all comes out to about 2 stage 2 jars and 1/2 stage 3 jar, 1-2 tablespoons of cereal, & 28oz of formula. Should I be feeding him more food and l

babyboomboom

Asked by babyboomboom at 5:38 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Call your pedi and ask.
    Anonymous

• i hate it when people tell me that. my SIL tells me that all the time im like 'omg go away.'
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 5:41 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Babies don't need solid food at all until 12 months so what you're doing is fine. It's basically just practice for real food. I've learned not to listen to my mom. A lot had changed in 25 years since she had kids.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 5:43 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• If your son is growing adequately, and your pedi hasn't said anything... I think you are doing great!
    JoeMama

Answer by JoeMama at 5:44 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• My 7 month old only gets solids once a day. To me it seems like your guy is getting a ton of solids! Different babies have different needs. I would ask your pediatrician and tell your family you are his mother and you are feeding him in a manner that you think is best, it's none of their business.
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 5:46 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• My grandma says I need to feed my DD more... WHATEVER! Some people think that a healthy baby is a fat baby. IF your child isnt showing signs of hunger then they probably arent.
    Supervane

Answer by Supervane at 5:55 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Seems like a lot of food to me.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:56 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I think you are fine. As long as your child doesn't seem to be hungry or seem to be overfed, then you are fine. Talk to you pediatrician and see what she/he says.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:58 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• That seems like a lot of food for a 7 month old. My DD is 11 mos and just now started on Stage 3. I feed her for breakfast 1 jar of stage 2 cereal. Snack during the day ie. puffs, wheels, etc. Then at dinner she will have about 1 jar of dinner meal and maybe 1/2 of jar of fruit for dinner. She also gets about 3-4 6 oz bottles a day.
    Mommyto3As

Answer by Mommyto3As at 6:04 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• He's still eating baby food. His formula intake should not drop dramatically until he's on table foods. (per our pediatrician) If there is a significant drop when eating only baby foods, the baby foods should be cut back.

Until he's getting nutrition from real food (table food) all of his nutrition is coming from formula. Baby food is just practice. (also per our pediatrician)

We never did stage 3. We started introducing table foods at 6 months (they were ready, willing and able!!) At 7 months they were about 50% baby food and 50% table foods...total equivalent of about six stage 2 jars per day (maybe 7?) I think (if I remember correctly) they were down to about 35oz of formula per day at this stage....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:10 PM on Feb. 5, 2009