how can I teach my 4 years old down syndrome to do his school work

My 4 years old has down syndrome and don't want to color,make lines,circles and anything to do with his work in pre-school(he is in special school).he will be 5 soon and his teacher say she can't make he do anything if he doesn't want to (and she is a teacher for special needs children).At home he refuses to do it even if I make it fun,as soon a he sees the paper he gets and smash it or just scrible once and throw it away.How can I help him to gets the basic for kindegarden????

yakisoba

Asked by yakisoba at 5:52 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have worked with many special needs children over the last several years. Not that I am an expert, but in my experience, most children with downs don't really have issues like that unless there is another underlying disability/disorder like Autism, etc. Have you ever thought about talking to your pediatrician about the behaviors and how they feel about it?
    Anonymous

• Not all kids enjoy the same type of work or learn best in the same ways.

He may (like PP said) have another undiagnosed issue going on ---- or he may just need a teacher that will adapt lessons to him instead of making him adapt to the lessons.

I'd bring this up with his physician & possibly look into educational alternatives.

G'luck!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:25 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I have worked with preschoolers with special needs for close to 20 years. All children regardless of their disability are individuals and their needs are specific to them. First of all, the activities that you mention that he refuses to participate in are all fine motor writing tasks. These tasks are often difficult for any preschoolers. If the tasks are too difficult for him, he will obviously not like to do them. We adults are the same way, but we know that we have to do things we don't like. If he is being expected to complete a lot of worksheets, this is probably not developmentally appropriate for him. Children his age learn by doing, playing, moving,feeling, tasting,interacting,etc. If they activities do not have meaning for him or are not motivating to him then change the activities. If you want to change a child's behavior,you have to change your own. See next post
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 1:24 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Lastly, have you tried using a visual schedule. Use pictures to show each of the steps in the task. (either photographs or line drawn pictures). Show him all the pictures in sequence and explain, "First you will do...,next you will do..." and so on. As he completes each step of the task, turn that picture over or put it in an all done pocket, then show him the next picture in the sequence of the task. Keep showing the next picture after he completes each step Finally, at the end of the sequence when the task is finished, show him the picture of his reward. Determine ahead of time what is rewarding to him. Everyone is motivated by something. You know your child best and can give the teacher ideas for rewards. It could be a prize from the prize box, or playing with a favorite toy for 3-5 minutes before beginning work on a new task. It helps if he can see what he has to do and the rewards.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 1:41 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Maybe you could have a kid he looks up to model the behavior for him? Does he have an older sibling? Friend? Cousin? Someone a few years older he looks up to. I'd start just with coloring, make it fun. Tape butcher paper to the walls and floor and show him how to mark it up! Hopefully, he'll find the fun and it won't be such a chore! Good luck!!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 12:17 PM on Feb. 7, 2009