I need some suggestions about starting a drug/alcohol support group.

My husband & I were approached by our pastor, wanting us to start a support type group for addicts & alcoholics. I would appreciate any tips or advice on how to get this going & the types of things to do. Any kind of literature we can use anything of that sort.

onefasttatortot

Asked by onefasttatortot at 5:57 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think a big part of starting a group like this would to make sure you have a recovered user help you organize. It might be hard for some people to relate to someone who hasn't gone through those specific struggles. Also, group discussions are a big factor in showing support for the recovery process as well as assigning "sponsers" or "buddies" to people in the program so that they can have an individual to call if they need help at a moment of weakness. I don't know any specific literature, but I can suggest looking at the offical sites for AA and other national support groups for guidelines/techniques,etc.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 6:01 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• why not team up with a local aa/narc chapter, or rehab house? you could find out 'straight from the horse's mouth' about how to hold meetings/what to discuss, etc., and you may be able to get someone(s) from their group to come tell 'their story' (that's what my hub calls it-he's a recovering addict.10yrs sober yeah!) from time to time, to your church support group. some in the church may be reluctant to come/join in, so it may be slow getting it started. it might also help to attend some open meetings yourselves, to get a feel for it. find out who is in charge, and stay to talk to him/her afterward. they could give lots of insight.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:41 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• while I agree that you should get a recovering addict to help you know what to expect, etc, and that you should look online at the official AA sites.. I also want to tell you 1- I think what you are doing is great and 2- this is not going to be easy. A user normally has problems that stem from other problems, mostly depression, so you may want to pick up material on that subject as well. Your going to need to stay extra strong for these people.. I agree that they will probably benefit from a sponsor(someone to help them/call when they are having a decline in progress, because it will happen). Be prepared for set backs, and to listen, and don't give up.

good luck

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:24 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• try this link--they have a good program and it may at least may be able to give you some pointers if anything--hope it helps
    http://www.addictsforchrist.org/
    jdmyangel

Answer by jdmyangel at 8:38 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I agree with ozarkgirl. My brother has been in and out of rehab and I know that they have some really great spiritual literature to help you in your journey. Good luck:)
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 9:00 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Our church had a program called Life Recovery. It is very similar to AA with the 12 steps, but it has a Christian background also. I know very little about it, but I one difference I know is in AA they say MY name is___ and I'm an alcoholic. In life recovery they say their name and that they struggle with alcohol dependence. I have heard it is an excellent program.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:59 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• What you SHOULD do...

Is find local AA & NA meetings in your area and talk to them about opening a meeting.

kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 4:09 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I myself am in recovery... so i just feel like its kinda weird for you to just OPEN a meeting and think it would be better to go to a meeting in your area and talk to people there... and you cant put an AA meeting TOGETHER with an NA meeting.... totally diff recovery...

kwiseman19

• They can open differnt meetins, find locations and they have the literature available... U cant just open a meetin because you feel its the right thing to do and just grab literature out of a rehab and think its gonna work...No offense.

Those meetings are critical to an addict, that could be their last hope to stay clean.... I think you should go to a recovering addict and talk to them about it. I mean you could help in finding a location and stuff but in the end... How are you going to go about getting the meeting on the area meeting list?? How are you going to open a meeting?? ....

kwiseman19

• I think I should clarify my husband and I are recovering addicts, thats why our pastor asked us to do this. And its not aa or na. Its just a support group
    onefasttatortot

Answer by onefasttatortot at 4:31 PM on Feb. 7, 2009