How is snack time done in your child's class?

Do they even get a snack?
Oldest dd has always had to bring in snack for the whole class at least once a month, for Kindergarten and 1st grade they had a schedule so every kid had to have a turn. Last year the teacher just asked that we bring something in once a month and she doled it out sometime during that month. But by about Dec/Jan most of the class stopped bringing in snacks so she made up a schedule and since we were pretty consistent about bringing in something she didn't put us on the schedule for the 1st month and a half :P
Today, we went to 2nd dd's class to meet her new teacher (Kindergarten) and she said the way she does it is that each child is responsible for their own snack. So now we have to send in a snack with dd EVERY DAY. I'm not sure if I like this because it means I'm gonna have to have snack stuff available ALL MONTH LONG and make sure the other kids or my dh or I don't eat her snack stuff at home, kwim? money and food gets pretty slim towards the end of the month so I really don't think this is gonna work out very well for us :-/ Plus I don't know what kinds of snacks to be sending for her! (gonna make another post about that)

DreainCO

Asked by DreainCO at 11:15 AM on Aug. 27, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• they bring their own from home or can go to the snack machine and get something on their way out to the area they have snack
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:16 AM on Aug. 27, 2012

• They can bring crackers or something non messy that does not require a spoon. Fruit has to be something like a banana or apple. They can't bring blueberries or strawberries. No juice.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:17 AM on Aug. 27, 2012

• Not sure how this new school handles snacks. Her old PreK we took turns and brought a class snack once a month. I'll be curious to see what the paper say when she gets home this afternoon.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 11:19 AM on Aug. 27, 2012

• There is no snack time. They are allowed to bring a snack for after school if they stay on after hours.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 11:22 AM on Aug. 27, 2012

• My daughter's school provided snack (for everyone) the first two years. Parents would send in a special birthday snack on or near their child's birthday, but the daily snack was provided by the school, and budgeted for. They did lots of bread and butter (bread the kids would bake), muffins, crackers & cheese, fruit, popcorn....
    Last year, they had some meetings and ultimately proposed to the parent group the possibility of families providing snack (for everyone) on a schedule, amounting to once every 6 weeks or so for each family. This was in order to stretch the school's budget further.
    They give us a snack schedule and parents remember to send in snack for ~36 people each time our day comes around.
    They skip birthdays (we still send in birthday snacks) and Wednesdays, since they have developed a new school tradition/routine of making sure to bake muffins during activity time on Wednesday mornings to have as the school snack.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:44 AM on Aug. 27, 2012

• DD's 1st grade class does not do snacks...at least they haven't sent home any information about it. Her Kindergarten class did an afternoon snack where parents were supposed to provide something that would cover the number of children in the classroom at the beginning of each month.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:44 AM on Aug. 27, 2012

• In Kindergarten, they were allowed to bring their own snacks from home. After that though, they no longer had a snack time.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:57 AM on Aug. 27, 2012

• My kids brought their own snack in everyday. I just sent either a homemade muffin or mini muffins and a small water bottle every day for my son. He is so picky. For my daughter I sent in string cheese, yogurt, muffins, gold dish, cereal in a bag, anything really.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:14 PM on Aug. 27, 2012

• In preschool there was a schedule, and when it was your turn you brought for the class - snack only, they provided the drinks. They had morning and afternoon snack (and wondered why the kids hardly ate at lunch time).
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:05 PM on Aug. 27, 2012

• DS is going to be bringing in a snack daily and he is in 2nd grade.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:16 PM on Aug. 27, 2012