can a bladder infection be passed to baby in birth canal?

I am being induced in 4 days, my doctors office called and told me that my urine had bacteria and i have a bladder infection. I feel completly fine, but they want me to take macrobid for the next 10 days.. I hate taking medications especially while pregnant. Not only that but i read online that macrobid should not be taken in the last 2-4 weeks of pregnancy... ?? I am 41 weeks tomorrow

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:57 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'm sure your doctor knows better than us on here
    Anonymous

• AN infection could cause problems if not treated but antibiotics are generally not needed. I don't use antibiotics for bladder infections/uti's etc. Look into natural remedies. I take probiotics, cranberry pills, and garlic capsules. It has always cleared it right up. You can ask your doctor or a naturopath about it :) all are safe during pregnancy.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:02 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• An infection cannot pass from the urinary tract to the birth canal...they are two different places and two different openings. You do not want to let your infection travel to your bladder/kidneys. Your doc knows best
    Anonymous

• yea, i don't mean that it will pass in the birth canal sorry.. should have made it clear but any infection could cause problems if left untreated. not just for you, but the baby as well..
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:09 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• the concern with bladder infections during pregnancy is not what the can do directly relating to the baby; the problem is that they can cause pre-term labor and delivery. go with what your dr. says. You've trusted him up to his point andyou wouldn't want to end up with a kidney infection AND a newborn. Good luck!
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 4:51 PM on Feb. 6, 2009