• In the Spotlight:

Group B Strep?

I'm 36 weeks along and I go tomorrow for a Group B Strep test. What is it? How is it done and what are the results suppose to be? Basically, what does it test for?

piercedbeauty21

Asked by piercedbeauty21 at 6:01 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's a culture basically and it's a bacteria that lives in your vaginal area and could be passed to the baby if it isn't treated. I tested positive and if my son wasn't breech and I would have had a normal labor than I would have had to have iv antibiotics. Nothing serious just make sure you let them know at the hospital if you test posiive
    LOVE2bMOMMY525

Answer by LOVE2bMOMMY525 at 6:06 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• It tests for a bacteria that can build up in the rectal/vaginal area of pregnant women. All women have these cultures, just some have more. It's a swab that is rubbed down the rectum/vaginal area. It's non- invasive, at least mine was. You want negative results, but if the results are positive it's not as scary as the medical community makes it out to be.

http://gentlebirth.org/archives/gbsAlt.html

http://www.givingbirthnaturally.com/group-b-streptococcus.html

http://www.mothering.com/articles/pregnancy_birth/birth_preparation/group-b.html
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:07 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• they test you by giving you a yearly if i remember correctly. i had it and was induced. was given the antibiotics and everything went fine
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 6:13 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• they are testing for Group B strep its a bactria that grows in the vaginal and rectum area. They take a long q tip looking thing and swab the inside of your vaginal area along with your rectum.
    If you test positive they will give you a antibiotic during labor so that you dont pass it on to baby during delivery.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 6:17 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I have 5 children I had Group B streap with my 4th child he was born 2and a half months early I had never even heard of it until then they said I had it so bad that it ruptred the membranes and put me into labor I had IV antibiotics and so did my son for several days.Every thing turned out well he is now 12 years old.My son I had after him I never did test positive with him and carried him full term.Good luck.
    mom2fivekids579

Answer by mom2fivekids579 at 6:20 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I was tested for it. For me it was like having a Pap Smear. I did test positive & all my dr. did was write a note for me to take to the hospital when it was time for me to deliver so that they could start me on antibiotics right away.
    JLee07

Answer by JLee07 at 6:37 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• my drs gave me the qtips and sent me to the bathroom to do it. it was positive for the irst child, and negative the second.
    kelinnh

Answer by kelinnh at 1:44 AM on Feb. 6, 2009