I need help if anyone knows anything about fair housing act?

I am renting month to month and i am wantingbto get out of my lease because my daughter is getting sent to another town to go to a special school which she will be living at the school.(She is autistic and needs more help than the town im living in can give her) So im wondering if that would qualify us under the disability part of the housing act? If i end up having to pay the 30 day notice i will have no money and nowhere to live.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Aug. 27, 2012 in Money & Work

• Try talking to your landlord first. Many are agreeable to letting you out of the lease for legitmate reasons. If they don't then check into the Fair Housing. Let them know that you would have the place cleaned and ready to go for the next tenant.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:23 PM on Aug. 27, 2012

• Yeah, I don't think that falls under Federal Fair Housing. Most landlords will easily let you out of your lease with a good excuse though.... or so I have found. Now, if you just automatically run to FFH, you might be looking at more issues than you want to deal with. You will then start investigations, numerous phone calls, visits, etc... etc.... It's a PITA. Talk to your landlord.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:27 PM on Aug. 27, 2012

• Fair Housing will not excuse you from penalties for breaking your lease, sorry.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:17 PM on Aug. 27, 2012

• Just give the landlord 30 days and follow your daughter next month. It isn't like you have a 1 yr lease.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:27 AM on Aug. 28, 2012