Baby hates tummy time?

I'm so worried. Everytime I put her on her tummy she screams and cries like she's being tortured or something. What should I do? Also how often do you people spend time playing with your babies? I know this is weird but I feel guilty when I have time to myself. Does that make any sense? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Noel_ani

Asked by Noel_ani at 6:45 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my DD hated tummy time, too. she is 5 mos old and still won't roll over. she CAN roll over, she chooses not to because she doesn't want to get stuck on her tummy. her pediatrician told me that it's okay if she doesn't like it-don't force it on her. she'll eventually do everything in her time, at her pace.
    I wouldn't force it, she'll do it in her own time.
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 8:47 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• My dd has hated tummy time since day 1, now that she's able to roll over over front to back to front she doesn't mind it as much
    efmeador0709

Answer by efmeador0709 at 6:47 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Just keep trying--i play a lot and take my alone time after she goes down for the night
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:47 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• My dd HATED tummy time until she could roll herself onto her tummy, which was when she was a little less than 3 months old. And then she was ALWAYS on her tummy.

Don't worry about it too much- just keep trying. Try laying her across your lap, so she gets some tummy time- she may respond better to it that way.

I don't remember how much I played with her when she was 3 months old, but now she's 8 months old and we are constantly playing.

Don't feel bad about time to yourself- a happy mom makes for a happy baby.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 6:47 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• my son also hated it... like descr. but just make it for really short periods, they need it to get the muscles to do differnt thing so you ARE helping her ... my son is 3 and i still feel guilt if i go anywhere alone... i hate it but that is apart of really loving your kid!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:00 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• My son never scream but I knew he didn't like it because he would just lay there and whimper lol. Now he'll roll onto his tummy by himself and stay there just fine as long as someone is there playing with him. If not, he cries until someone comes over. But I'm sure your baby will get used to it.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 7:20 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Do you like doing push-ups? It's the same thing for a baby :-) It is necessary for their development, despite the fact that so many babies hate it. She will eventually calm down with it as it won't be such a difficult task for her as she gets stronger and more skilled at holding her head up. It's exhausting so only do it for a few minutes at a time a few times per day. I like to put my son on his tummy for a minute or two each time a change his diaper while I am cleaning him up (it you do this, make sure she's on a surface where she can't roll off and fall). I law him on his back and raise his arms over his head as well as gently make bicycle motions with his legs for other exercise while singing to him and talking to him. He's 2.5 months old and he's learning to grasp a ball between his hands and hold on to a rattle. I do feel guilty when I get time to myself but shouldn't. You need "me" time in order to stay sane!

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:15 PM on Feb. 5, 2009