has anyone ever avoided the 3 hour glucose screening before??

so i had my one hour test, and they said it was a little high, i said how high and they said ONE POINT over the allowable limit... my mom has low blood sugar, last time it came back that i too had low blood sugar ... i dont wanna do the 3 hour test because i cant miss work and they dont do them on the weekends! i know for sure i am not diabetic, i feel 100% fine! but i have to see my ob tomorrow and worried i am going to get crap for not scheduling it yet... anyone else been there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• hahaha- i jsut went through this today!!!( the 1 hour test though). the lab that i go to refuses to use a butterfly needle on me, and because i have small veins that is what is nessecary for me. i have put it off for a month now and i am not saying that this is right but i also agree that if i was diabetic i would totally feel outta whack by now. so i go to the doctor every week now and the past two they are like um whats going on but today the doctor said that hes sure i am fine and not in risk but it would be good if i get it done. i get all nervous when i go to my appt though. good luck.
    indysownlilbit

Answer by indysownlilbit at 6:38 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I did, my doctor was annoyed at first but he said that my level was only a little high so he wasn't too concerned.

I told him i simply couldnt go 14 hours without eating and only 3 hours of sleep since my son was having rough nights, so all in all it never got done

JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 7:00 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• You don't have to schedule it at all. I know a lot of people who don't even take the 1 hour one. As long as you eat healthy and take care of your self that one point wont make a difference. I personally haven't been there, but I do know people (most in my natural birth groups) who have refused the 3 hour.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:02 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• that is good to know.... thank you!
    Anonymous

• more info on the testing and gestational diabetes

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gdhgoer.html
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:07 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• doctor's can't force you to get anything done. They can recommend stuff that can help but it's your choice. There's no law saying you have to get any type of prenatal care.
    Anonymous

• I had to do it and it did come back high (I had gestational diabetes and I have an insulin problem now) and all they did was tell me to cut back on sweets. I'm sure you'll be fine if you cut back on sodas and junk and carbs unless it's whole wheat. Good luck!
    qtnik

Answer by qtnik at 7:14 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• that is what i have been doing, cutting back on sweets, none in the morning so i know my blood sugar is level, and walking more, i hadnt been working out at all and normally i am a runner... pregnancy makes me tired!! (my excuse for not running.)
    Anonymous