Student art work project questions

My son is entering a contest for a 3-D art project and I have a few questions. He wants to do Hawaii and make the island and a volcano. Modeling clay is rather pricey, is there a cheaper alternative that would hold up, maybe something like homemade salt dough? Also, can I suggest materials for him to use? The guidelines say that it must be student created, but he wants to make a village, the beach, and trees out of clay too but I would like to suggest some different materials. Do you think this would be ethically okay?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 9:55 PM on Aug. 27, 2012 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Salt dough works great, let it dry and paint it. Honestly... I would help him. It is a huge project for a kid to make alone. Just make sure he does the majority of it. He should be consulting with you for ideas, as an adult you have more knowledge than he does. Nothing wrong with helping guide you child to have a great project.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:01 PM on Aug. 27, 2012

• Yes, it's okay to suggest materials, or give him options, after all you are providing the materials for him.

To actually help is not okay. There's a difference, and I think you're fine.

I was the State Arts Chair for our PTA in Wyoming a few years ago. I handled the art judging on a state level. We can often tell that a child had help with a project, and I can tell you personally that if we suspect that, we are likely to call and interview the child about his work.

Usually we're not looking for an art protegee, we're looking for whatever the rules of the competition were, the child's creativity...not the parents, and skill appropriate for their grade level.

Your son will feel better if he does the work himself.....but offering him different options for materials is very reasonable.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:41 PM on Aug. 27, 2012

• salt dough sounds fine and suggesting materials sounds fine, too. I would also recommend making a wire/wood frame for the volcano before applying the dough over it to help it hold up better
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 11:04 PM on Aug. 27, 2012

• He'll need to make figurines separately and let them dry completely before adding them to the project, because salt-dough can be a little mushy for things like legs, until they dry.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:22 AM on Aug. 28, 2012

• I don't think suggesting materials is interfering with "student created." To me, student created just means he has to do the actual work himself. He needs to come up with the basic idea, plan it out, and do the work. But I don't see that you suggesting materials, or even making other suggestions ("I think that little burning dude would look better over here than there") would be making it not student created. I think even if you helped a bit with like creating a frame for the volcano or helping him make the salt dough would really be an issue, as long as he does most of the work himself.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:49 AM on Aug. 28, 2012

• Why not make a frame out of chicken wire and do paper mache?
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 10:38 AM on Sep. 7, 2012