What to do about castiron

I have several pieces of cast iron cookware that I love, I reseason it occasionally, but one of my pieces is getting rusty. Is there anyway to remove the rust before I reseason it?

mrssullivan

Asked by mrssullivan at 7:09 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Steel wool, such as brillo, is all I know of.

Answer by Bmat at 7:15 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• My mother has told me that old folks used to burn the season into the castiron by putting it outside in a good fire. Now she seasons it and puts it into a very hot oven for a short time about 30 mins. Once it is reseasoned and burnt in the secret is keep it out of water as much as possible and dry after rinseing. Lightly grease and wipe out with paper towel.
    Tramar aka Diane
    tramar47

Answer by tramar47 at 10:18 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I always put mine on a burner to dry and then grease it.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:17 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• For cast iron skillets use vegetable oil...wipe the skillet with the oil and place the skillet in the oven for 2 hours...NEVER wash your cast iron skillet...do not use a brillo pad on it...after you cook in it, place it in the oven for 2 hours each time..never ever clean it...you allow the seasonings to build in your cast iron skillet when you put it in the oven...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 2:14 PM on Mar. 4, 2009