How do I get my daughter to stop being hungry all the time?

My daughter is overweight, but healthy. I'm trying to cut back on what I eat because I need to lose weight, and along with it I'm trying to cut back on hers as well. However, right after she eats, she complains about being hungry again. Like tonight, I gave her a whole homemade hamburger. On it was a hamburger patty, mustard, ketchup, a little chili, and it was on a whole wheat bun. She also ate some cheese flavored rice. Less than 10 minutes later she wanted something else, so I gave her a Fiber One bar. Now almost an hour later, she wants an apple, as she's complaining about being hungry again. I have to say no, and she pitches a complete fit. I can't win. I should add that she's 8 years old. She can't be very active right now due to having two broke bones in her back and having to wear a back brace. She plays the wii a lot, and walks around in the house, but that's about all she can do.

wmjsease

Asked by wmjsease at 7:10 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Health

• Give her a well rounded meal like the hamburger (one topping), on a "light" bun with lettuce and tomato. On the side, some oven baked potatos ( wedges sprayed with oil and baked until soft - sprinkle garlic powder or other spices), serve with dill pickles. For dessert, a serving of sugar free pudding. Have her wait at least a half hour after the meal to make sure her brain is registering the food. Earlier than that, she has a false sense of emptiness. If she is still hungry, give her a snack of veggies and a tablespoon or lowfat dressing to dip. Before bed, all a lowfat yogurt or milk and a piece of fruit. It's ok to have a nice bedtime snack. Anything in between a well balanced meal and bedtime snack should be very low in calories and filling: that is, veggies. Other boredom busters will help too. Board games, crafts, reading, drawing. There has to be something to fill the void. Get her out of the house if U can.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 7:45 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Well, if she was asking for an apple, I would have given it to her. Huge difference between asking for an apple as a snack and cookies or crackers!
    Anonymous

• The apple is ok. To me it sounds like some bordom. I eat when I have nothing to do. Keep doing what your doing, don't give up. Encourage healthy snacks. Before and after I had my back surgery, my Dr told me to eat 7 smaller meals a day, so snacking is ok, as long as it is healthy.
    Med109

Answer by Med109 at 9:24 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Sorry, I should say that I did give her the apple. However about an hour later, she was begging for food again. Her doctor doesn't really say much about her weight except that she's bigger than most kids her age, which she is. But they don't tell me what to do to help her with her hunger,and it's hard to keep food away from her. But I try.
    wmjsease

Answer by wmjsease at 9:26 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• did your doctor tell you to put her on a diet or are you just doing it cause your a little over weight and you think she is too. not trying to sound harst or nothing. but he is a kid if they are hungry they are hungry plus just giving them hamburger with no corn or mac n cheese isn't a nice meal

I JUST READ YOUR LAST POST IF YOU DOCTOR DIDN'T TELL YOU TO PUT HER ON A DIET DONT DO IT. I KNOW ITS UP TO YOU AND ALL THAT BUT SHE IS A CHILD THEY ARE GOING TO ALWAYS BE HUNGRY
    Anonymous