Has anyone flown with young children?

Some one at work told me I had to have a "flight" car seat how do i find out if mine is good and she also said it might count as my DD's carry on. Just asking for opinions I know I can call the airline but I don't even have my ticketts yet I'm just a planner lol

emtmommyamanda

Asked by emtmommyamanda at 7:13 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Travel

• She does not need a flight carseat but if you want to use it on the plane it does have to be FAA approved. If you cannot tell from the directions, call the manufacturer. The carseat is not a carryon baggage item and if you check it, it does not count as a piece of your checked baggage. If you can have two carry ons and two pieces of luggage, you can take all four of those plus the carseat.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 7:24 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• they fly for free if under 2 because they dont need a seat of their own they can sit on your lap. we flew when my son was 4 months old his car seat was part of the check in and we held him on our laps. However if you really want to use your carseat on the plane and pay for a ticket for her then just about all carseats are airplane approved. call the number thats on your carseat to verify.
    Anonymous

• oh im sorry my DD is 3 i forgot to mention that
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 7:21 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• We never had to have carseats for any of ours on the plane, and we flew with them when they were 16 months, 18 months, 3 and 5. We did sometimes choose to take the carseats on the plane however to have somewhere to strap them in occasionally =)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:06 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• The FAA approved ones are expensive. I'd just buckle her in w/o the seat. Check it for when you land. Bring a dvd player or toys and books and snacks and it'll be fine. Make sure she's in a diaper just in case of accidents.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:20 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I flew from Kc to Peru when my boy was 4 months old, it was hard............but we made it; you dont need to have a car seat, he can be on your lap; if you want your baby to use the car seat then you have to pay the extra ticket. You can check in your car seat and stroller at no extra cost and take them all the play to the plane door, they'll take care of that; sometimes before departure, you can ask if there is an available seat, if so, they change your seat number and let you get your car seat in there free, so you can be more confortable. Wear a back pack instead of a diaper bag when traveling, be very well organized so you can find everything quick!
    splendor

Answer by splendor at 2:50 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• You can take the carseat and the stroller to the gate with you and "gatecheck" them. Then they are there at the gate when you get off the plane. There is no chance of them getting lost this way.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:31 PM on Feb. 6, 2009