Deputies investigating rape of 11-year-old girl

Another reason that we shouldn't let our children ride city buses and go to school on their own. I hope these sickos get caught and thrown away for a long time!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/orl-bk-girl-raped-orange-020509,0,4336972.story

I can't even imagine how her parents must feel, let alone the poor little girl.

We can't always be right by our kids' side, how do we help protect them from these perves?

kicknscreamn222

Asked by kicknscreamn222 at 7:16 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• This should not have happened. You cannot always be by their sides, but you can make sure they are not out in the world totally on their own.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 7:19 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• It's almost impossible to be too careful. My daughter is 12 and I don't want her walking home from the bus stop by herself. I get home just in time to get her off the bus. We live in a fairly small, well behaved community but every now and then, there is an alert that somebody tried to pick up a child or intice one into a car. It's rare but it just isn't worth the chance that it would happen. I would drive my child to and from school if I could. Fortunately, I have a neighbor who takes he to school.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 7:23 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• This scares the hell out of me and unfortunetly the world is only getting worse. My kids are my world and if someone did something to either of them I would sit in prison cause I would kill them.
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 7:27 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• We are very lucky to live on a military installation. i do allow my children to walk the half mile to the school, but they are 10 and 11 year old boys and the base is pretty small. When we lived off base, I could not even let them walk to the end of the road to the bus stop by themselves (even though I could see it from the house) because people would stop and ask the kids if they wanted rides (it happened quite a few times when the police were called). I would NEVER allow my kids to get on a city bus by themselves, there is NO way! My heart goes out to that family.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:47 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I think we immediately look for ways to blame the parents or think of reasons why this couldn't happen to us or to our child.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:29 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• IN NYC ALOT OF CHILDREN WALK HOME FROM SCHOOL AND TAKE CITY BUSES, BECAUSE SCHOOLS RARLY PROVIDE SCHOOL BUSING. I THINK THAT PARENTS SHOULD TEACH CHILDREN TO BE AWARE KNOW THEIR SURROUNDINGS AND STAY IN WELL LIT AREAS, ALSO MAYBE DARE I SAY ... A CELL PHONE? ESPECIALLY IF THEY ARE TRAVELING ALONE. WHEN I WAS A CHILD I WALKED TO AND FROM SCHOOL IN THE WORST NEIGHBORHOOD, AND I KNEW TO TO NEVER GO CLOSE TO STRANGERS AND TALK WITH THEM EITHER. I THINK IF YOU INSTILL THE RULES CHILDREN WILL KNOW WHAT TO DO BEFORE GETTING INTO THAT SITUATION..IT DOESNT SEEM THE 11 YEAR OLD WAS KIDNAPPED,THAT IS TOTALLY DIFF FROM THIS.
    christine2007

Answer by christine2007 at 1:01 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• They are still looking for these guys...the girl could only provide details for a one of the guys to do a sketch picture, but she was able to also give a description of the car, and what's really sad is the neighbors around the abandoned house said they've seen that purple car there before. How many other girls have they raped and gotten away with? This is just terrible.
    kicknscreamn222

Answer by kicknscreamn222 at 7:09 PM on Feb. 7, 2009