Holy crapola!

Protective gear is EXPENSIVE! I am looking at stuff for roller derby. I found a great deal on a helmet, I was actually surprised because my friend told me she spent about $200 on everything, and I figured helmet and skates would be the expensive items. No nice good helmet for $29.50, but $68 for knee pads? There are cheaper ones (Thank God!) but that was the good brand ones, but I will be sticking to the $20 ones. I don't have $200 to drop on gear.

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 7:33 PM on Aug. 28, 2012 in Shopping

• Don't skimp on your gear or you will need a special savings acct. for your medical bills! :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:34 PM on Aug. 28, 2012

• Mrsmom is right. Skimping on protective gear always comes back to bite you in the butt... I raised 3 boys thru all kinds of sports, plus hanggliding, paragliding, skateboarding, motorcross, etc. Buy the good stuff. It will save you money in the long run.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 7:42 PM on Aug. 28, 2012

• Everything is expensive!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:40 PM on Aug. 28, 2012

• LOL, I don't pay for medical bills, the beauty of Tricare! LMAO, just kidding... I am not buying pads yet because they have extra ones, my priorities are mouth guard, helmet, and skates. I don't have the money to buy it all at once. I will ask which brand to go with, since I don't know much about it. I just started derby.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 7:41 PM on Aug. 28, 2012

• Consider looking at consumer review sites like Viewpoints Forum. Sometimes the more expensive items in a category really aren't any better than the less costly ones. It's worth checking.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:45 PM on Aug. 28, 2012

• Don't skimp on the gear. I have to buy knee pads. I fell 1 time at the rink and re-injured my knee. It took 4 weeks to heal. We are ordering some that have gel in part across the knee. They are definitely more expensive, but they are worth the cost to save my knee. BTW helmets are a bit of a help. My oldest fell on the rink and injured her temple.....the frickin helmet doesn't even cover that part. LOL I have NO idea how she got that injury b/c I was dealing with another injury on another kid. Don't skimp on the wrist guards either. I have a kid in a splint for 4 weeks b/c of a possible buckle fracture. Have fun b/c we sure do.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:49 PM on Aug. 28, 2012