Circumcision?

I don't know what to do for my baby? I am due in almost a month and can't decide if I want my baby to have the operation or not and I left it up to my husband, but he does not care. What do you all feel?

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 8:19 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My son is not circumcised (neither is dh- it isn't practiced in his culture.) We felt there was no compelling reason to do it- our religion/culture does not dictate it, we were not convinced there was medical benefit, and in our province the circumcision rate is fifty-fifty so he will have lots of company either way. There is no additonal hygiene required for an intact infant- the foreskin actually should NOT be retracted on an infant, to retract it can cause infection. It's strictly wash and go. Once the child is older (two or three) the foreskin will retract more easily and at that point you (or the child) can retract the foreskin and rinse underneath during a bath. It's really no problem- my six year old can handle the hygiene required easily on his own. Do some reading and research and make a decision on accurate info. HTH!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:41 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• i circumcised my son. im glad i did. its easier to keep clean
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:20 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• on another note...have you ever seen one that isnt? it reminds me of a pig in a blanket (you know-the finger food)
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:21 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• circumcision penis is more easier to clean, then with the skin cause you have to push it back to clean so just think it over ..hope this helps
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 8:21 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• If your contemplating it, its your intuition telling you not to. Please don't. You can do some research on it and find the answers vs. myths about uncirced penis's. 50 percent are not circed and the number is growing as people are learning facts over cosmetic issues. My son is intact and you DO NOT pull the skin back!! That would give them an infection. Also ask a couple doc's if its something you should do.
    kirstanbrown

Answer by kirstanbrown at 8:25 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I kind of want to leave the decision up to him when he gets older. I want to give my children choices and I figure this is a big one I can leave up to him.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 8:27 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I say no. If your son wants it when he is older that can be his choice but men lose 30% of sexual feeling with it and I dont really see the point. The BS people feed you about infections and sanitation issues is NOT in any way true. My husband and son are both uncircumsized and neither of them have ever had an infection. I am sure God had something in mind giving men this extra skin and who are we to cut it off? JMO.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 8:35 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• My youngest is intact. The baby I am pregnant with will be too. There is NO reason to circ. I'ts not cleaner or easier or any of the things people say. There is nothing extra you have to do. The number of intact people in the US is growing as more moms see the light. The AAP no longer recommends routine circumcision. Most problems that intact boys have are caused by doctors and parents who are uneducated about care of the intact penis.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:36 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• circumcision penis is more easier to clean, then with the skin cause you have to push it back to clean so just think it over

DON'T do this. You shouldn't be pulling the skin back. Only the owner of the penis should and it can take years for the foreskin to seperate from the glans and that is totally normal.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:39 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• We wont be circumcising, it is no any cleaner to circ that's a myth. You also don't ever retract the foreskin, and it naturally retracts between 2 and 4 years of age. Then it's still easy to clean :)

Just remember, if you aren't sure then DON'T do it. You can't replace the foreskin but you can always do the procedure later.

Most insurances don't cover it anymore because it's "cosmetic". :)

good luck.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:43 PM on Feb. 5, 2009