Schedule or on demand?

I am breast feeding my 5 month old and with my 2 yr old I fed her on schedule and I am doing the same with my little one. But I have taken a lot of crap for not feeding her on demand. I feed her on schedule but if I know she didn't eat well her last feeding and she's hungry early I will feed her. It's not like I starve her. But some times I do try to make her wait so she doesn't get off schedule. So my question is should I feed her on demand or on schedule?

Momma2beauties

Asked by Momma2beauties at 8:22 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've had my baby on a schedule from very early on and it has worked wonderfully for both of us. Of course, if she was hungry I would feed her but she stuck to the schedule mostly. It worked for me because if she was crying and had just eaten I knew she had gas. If she was crying and she had been awake for about an hour I knew she was sleepy. You get the point... because of the schedule I knew what she needed when she needed it. The schedule worked for her because she knew what to expect (and still does) day in and day out which I feel gives her a sense of security. I think your baby is certainly old enough to be feeding on a schedule. Just be sensitive to growth spurts, teething, illnesses, and anything else that may effect the schedule. Sometimes you have to feed more often or get off the schedule but you can easily return to it so there's no need to be overly strict with it.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 8:47 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I always did on demand. mostly because babies do not understand schedules. that is solely for your benefit. you aren't doing that for her benefit.
    Anonymous

• I think that you should feel her when she is hungry and if that is around your schedule then stick to it, if not feed her as you wish. Hope I helped.
    TreasureThis882

Answer by TreasureThis882 at 8:25 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Schedules are nice in theory, but when a baby is hungry you have to feed them. I don't believe infancy is a time to schedule feedings, but that is just my opinion.
    Anonymous

• feed on demand, I worked my schedule around the feedings... I kept a record so I had an idea of what time my LO would be eating, but that was it...yeah I quess you could say we had a schedule but it was his schedule not mine.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:37 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I've never used a schedule. I only feed on demand.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:46 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• im never good at schedules, i've always been on demand
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 8:51 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• i've always nursed my babies on demand.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 9:10 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I do a mix. I have a schedule, but I'll feed her if she seems hungry. And I don't do it by the clock exactly. If she's supposed to eat at 5 and she wakes up at 4:45, I'll feed her then because I know she's hungry if she woke up 15 min early.

I won't feed her every time she cries though, because then she'll just snack all day and chances are she won't get any hindmilk. She's been sleeping through the night since 8 weeks and is a very happy content, healthy baby.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 9:13 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• As baby grows he will experience periods of heightened growth that generally last for several days. Commonly referred to as growth spurts, these periods require more feeding flexibility. Baby demands to feed more often and your body responds to this increased demand by increasing your milk supply. Adhering to a set schedule during these times may result in a baby who's increased caloric needs are not met. Furthermore, your breasts will not receive the added stimulation they require to boost up your supply to meet your baby's growing needs. As a result you may not be able to fully meet your baby's nutritional requirements thus resulting in the need to supplement with artificial milk. For more info http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/bf-links-concerns.html#schedule and http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/schedules.html
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 9:14 PM on Feb. 5, 2009