How do you define Capitalism and Socialism?

What about the proposed Stimulus Plan reflects capitalism and what part socialism?

If Capitalism rewards merit, ability and achievement and the degree to which one rises or falls in society is determined by the degree to which he uses his mind

And Socialism contains a governing class that decidewhat is good for society and then uses the power of the State to regulate, tax, and redistribute the wealth of those who work for a living.

Which direction do you see out nation heading?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• socialism, it's already taking root bit by bit.. research what happened to Stalin when he wanted to change Russia to a Socialist country.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:44 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• an no I'm not happy with it at all.
    xxhazeldovexx

• I think a lot of what's happened even when Bush was president was akin to socialism (bailout), and I feel like we're actually moving towards solid socialism thats on the fast track to communism.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 8:47 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• socialism, if those who oppose it don't put up a strong enough stand against it.
    chickenhobbit

Answer by chickenhobbit at 8:55 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I would define socialism as public (gov't) ownership of the means of production (industry) and capitalism as private (individuals/companies) ownership of the means of production (industry.) I don't think that capitalism is defined by a system of meritocracy, where 'you get what you put in.' Yes, sometimes you work hard and get ahead- but many others work hard and do not. And the playing field is not level in reality, which is something that meritocracy always seems to assume.

Based on that, I would consider the US to be a capitalist country which is contemplating some broad socialist style programs (ie. universal health care.) But still a capitalist country. I'm Canadian, that's how I consider our own country- capitalist but with more extensive social programs.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:01 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• we have a president imposing caps on what employees in the private sector can make, and now the govt. owns our banks-hello do you not see what is happening? schip covers some kids up to the age of 30? welfare checks in the name of a tax cut, a spending bill in the name of stimulus, it's all headed that way.
    Anonymous

• universial healthcare would bankrupt America.Capitalism has been what has worked here for over 200 yrs.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:38 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Capitalism is when you work hard, and some get ahead.

Socialism is when you are expected to work hard and nobody gets ahead. 

So why work hard? 

Anonymous

• Our nation is heading towards socialism. America was built on capitalism where people established their own business's and brought jobs to their community. This new crowd in Washington are on the wrong track. They want us to be a slave to them.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 10:18 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• My heart breaks for our country.The sad thing is some act like theyd follow right into not just socialism (bad enough) but communism.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:29 PM on Feb. 5, 2009