Should I apply for SSI for my son again?

I have a son who is diagnosed with autism and mild mr....we applied for ssi for him last year, and got denied. we were told me and his dad made too much.....we hardly make ends meet, and he's our only son, he is also non verbal. I have been told to apply again since everyone gets denied at first. Our incomes are still the same, should I say I live by myself and maybe get approved that way??? Not sure what to do

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Dont lie, you dont want that kind of trouble if you get caught, but yeah I would try again, most do get denied the first time
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:44 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• the problem is that you are trying to have a child declared disabled before said child even has the opportunity to show if he can do things or not. Disability is for people who cannot work. He's a child.

yes children with obvious handicaps get disability because they will never work and never be able to care for themselves.

my oldest son's father is autistic (as is our son) he works.

Please tell me that you are not trying to use your son's disorder as a paycheck...

he is a child, there are therapies he can do to become verbal and become closer to the "norm"
    Anonymous

• yeah dont lie because you'd get in a lot of trouble, but apply again
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 8:48 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Hi,
    It won't hurt to try again. I do know that they usually deny everyone at first. I tried for my son that was dx'd w/ PDD-NOS but my husband and I were also denied due to the amount of money that we are making. You may want to try to get a advocate to help you as well... Do they have something in your area called DDD. Department of Developmental Disabilities. Sometimes they have things they can offer too.
    Anonymous

• Do not lie, but apply again.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:02 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Thanks for the replies.....and no Im not trying to use my son's disorder to get a pay check. We currently have an in home therapy program that has helped out a lot. He is going to start school pretty soon and I hope he does well because we tried school when he was younger and he didnt do so well. If we got approved we were hoping to use the extra money to do biomedical interventions....I have heard great things about this..but at the same time I hear its very expensive.
    Anonymous

• Contact a SSI lawyer. SSI/Disablitly pretty much deny everyone. I work pt for a Dis/SSI lawyer. Ive seen them deny people who were vegetables and then accept crack heads. SSI/Disability lawyers dont charge up front and only get paid if they win the case and then its a percentage of the back pay your son would be owed from SSI. The only thing you will have to pay for is medical records. The downer.......I dont know what state your in but here in MIchigan, the general wait time is 2 years before you get a court date.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 9:51 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Thanks mistynights234...Im in California.....do you know how long for in this state?
    Anonymous

• I applied for my son who has a autism mild MR dx as well. All I had to do was give them a copy of the developmental evaluation and he was approved within 3 months. If you have any questions feel free to pm me
    SebsMom29

Answer by SebsMom29 at 10:28 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Keep applying. Many people don't get approved the first time around. Keep applying. And I wouldn't lie about that. Just keep applying.

Best Wishes
    mommatime78

Answer by mommatime78 at 1:33 AM on Feb. 6, 2009