How much can you alchohol can you drink while breastfeeding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its not smart to drink any. it can be passed through your milk to the baby
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:45 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• from the way you typed the question it sounds like you are drinking too much, but I did not drink at all while breastfeeding, I didnt want to chance anything....
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:47 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• "how much can you alchohol"

um I think you've had more than enough alcohol just by reading your question...
    Anonymous

• LOL. major typo so I hope you aren't drunk already hehe.

The rule of thumb is "safe to drive, safe to nurse". Alcohol leaves your breast milk at the same rate it leaves your blood stream. Generally if you drink a glass of wine, or a beer, or take a shot, wait 1 hour before nursing on average.

You can safely nurse and drink, just don't do the two at the same time and don't try and nurse once you've been trashed. Have breast milk in the fridge or freezer in case you drink too much and the baby needs to nurse. Also try and have someone sober around to help that would be a great idea...

I never drank more than two glasses but if I did it would be AFTER she ate and I knew I had 2-3 hours before she woke up.

www.kellymom.com has tons of info for you!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:52 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I'm not sure. Is it that necessary? I want to say 1 to 2 drinks, but definitly check with some kind of professional. My doctor said I was to have no more than 2 cups of coffee. He reiterated that he meant measured cups and not the grande, double expesso, extra sugar ones. Shoot! lol! I know for me it was a waist of time to just have a couple.
    2Ftin

Answer by 2Ftin at 9:11 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• If you're going to drink you should make sure you have breastmilk pumped for your baby just in case you wind up drinking more than planned or your baby gets hungry sooner. You need to wait until all alcohol is eliminated from your breastmilk before nursing again. I found a website that lets you know based on your weight and how many drinks you have how long it takes for the alcohol to be out of your system: http://www.cfpc.ca/cfp/2002/Jan/vol48-jan-clinical-1.asp. The chart is a little hard to read but for me (at 110 lbs.) if I have 1 drink I wait 2 1/2 hrs., 2 drinks- 5 hrs., 3 drinks- 8 hrs. And the only reason to 'pump n dump' like a lot of moms say is if you are feeling uncomfortable and need to relieve the pressure from not nursing. It does not get the alcohol out any faster nor does it make any difference. The alcohol will be out of your breastimilk at the times shown in the chart regardless of if you pump & dump.
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 9:22 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I would limit my drink to 1 and usually have it with a meal. This way it is absorbed and passed through your system more quickly. I would also try to nurse right before I drank so I would have as much time as possible before the next feeding.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 9:32 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• NONE and in response to that "safe to drive, safe to nurse" crap...gimme a break, don't people have any freakin self control...is it that wonderful that you can't even spare your poor innocent baby the alcohol being passed thru the milk..regardless of how much it is....Its just like these idiots that say they are going back to smoking after they had the baby...it's called WILLPOWER people and your baby didn't ask for that shit to be put in their body.Poor little things, so pure when theyre born, then contaminated befor they can even walk....Pathetic.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• calliesmommie, you must have NEVER talked to an OB or a pediatrician, or a lactation consultant lol. Your ignorance is amazing, but it's ok. It can be forgiven. OP ignore her. People have had alcohol long before doctors and scientists came around and there is a safe way to nurse and still have the occasional drink. :)

Don't listen to anyone who says otherwise and do your own research. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:59 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html

Adult metabolism of alcohol is approximately 1 ounce in 3 hours, so mothers who ingest alcohol in moderate amounts can generally return to breastfeeding as soon as they feel neurologically normal. Chronic or heavy consumers of alcohol should not breastfeed.

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:06 PM on Feb. 5, 2009