Do you feel that the decline in morality and personal responsibility is a problem in the US?

Please Explain.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• yes I think that is a huge problem.. too many people are lazy and comfortable taking hand outs, while they snub a needy neighbor that is too old to try and get help. I am sick of people acting so selfish one second, and demanding help another. Go help a neighbor and/or friend/relative. Get out of the house and petition for what you believe in, if you have the extra money, go start a business doing what you really dream about. There is so much people could be doing. It makes me sad that most people don't know who they really are voting for politically, and then they complain about the bail outs. These same people voted them back into office.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:50 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Yes. I see more and more people attacking others either verbally or physically for not believing the same or acting the way they think they should not. There seems to be a lot more anger than there used to be, and less people taking the "high road". It is a shame.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 8:58 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Yes.I feel that nobody will take responsibility for there own actions....take the economy.They blame it all on Bush(and i am NOT a Bush supporter) but wont take responsibility for their part.

Morals...well that went down the toilet many years ago.SOME People are more busy worrying about what they can get from everyone/everything to actually worry about something as crazy as morals.
    Anonymous

• I think its odd that someone is creating a post on personal responsibility and is doing so anonymously.

I think there needs to be more tolerance in the world. What may be "moral" to you may be offensive or immoral in a different culture. And personal responsibility starts at HOME. Irresponsible parents do not set a good example for children to follow.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 9:05 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• ABSOLUTELY. We live in a "me, me, me" society with an "I'll sue you" mentality. Unfortunately, when you call a spade a spade these days, people think you are being too judgmental and "on a high horse".

If you don't judge a person for their actions, why DO they need personal responsibility?

For example. Take the girl who just had a 'botched' abortion in FL. A 18-19 yo girl goes to have an abortion. For days she takes medicine to make her dilate at 23 weeks prego. The Dr. isn't available, so an un-licensed person at the clinic delivers the baby, cuts the cord with sissors and throws a LIVE baby in a haz-mat bag. Now, she had filed a lawsuit and is suing. Where is HER personal responsibility in this case? So we judge her for all of the above.
    Many people on here will defend her and say don't judge!!! we don't know her circumstances, and it is none of our business!!! therefore taking away her responsibility!
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 9:06 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• well said Thundernlight...I completely agree!
    tomsbrandi

Answer by tomsbrandi at 9:10 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• YES! i've been looked down on for making moral decisions that don't fit the "out of sight, out of mind" mentality. its like giving into a child: at first it doesn't know any better, its testing the boundaries. keep giving in, and expectations arise and if they are not met, temper tantrums abound. then as time progresses, actions or lack thereof play into daily decision making (work or welfare, sex or abstinance, etc.) which ultimately destroy the quality of life for the individual. because he/she has known nothing but being pandered to, of course accountability is thrown out the window!
    our society embraces the "throw away" method: surplus food, unwanted animals, old people, children, and babies. just because "we can" doesn't mean we should.
    chickenhobbit

Answer by chickenhobbit at 9:19 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Yes. We have a whole generation that feels the world owes them something. They should be able to do what they want and foot the bill. We have many young women having babies in their teens to fill a void they have. Does not matter they don't love the father and will be on welfare to support it. They only think about what they want. So many need God in their lives and need to grow up. No one owes anyone anything. If you make a baby it is your responsibility to feed, clothe, put a roof over its head, provide insurance and anything else it needs. If you cannot do that keep your legs closed.  I know three teen moms who have no clue who the babies father is. They think it is funny.  The poor kid won't think it is funny when they get older.  We live in a Godless and pathetic world. 

Anonymous

• CafeMom recently had a question " how often do you smoke pot?" and there were like 100 answers with honest answers from MOMS admitting to it every day or weekly. It's bad enough people are doing that, but now we got MOMS doing it and discussing it freely online. Yeah, that's a problem.
    Anonymous

• Well after what I read today what the U.N. wants to do concerning parental rights... yeah we are going downward in the morality department!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2009