What do you suggest for bringing down a fever?

My 18 month old has a fever of 102.9. Has been to doctor. I have given her Tylenol and she is already feeling cooler to the touch. She's up and playing with the other kids, just very touchy and grouchy. I know about giving her a luke warm bath, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

Galikian

Asked by Galikian at 8:59 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• they told me to alternate between tylenol and motrin. that seems to work better than just using one of them.
    setliff

Answer by setliff at 9:02 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• use alchole u put it on cotton ball and lay it on belly button let it sit there for a few and it SUPPOSED to help bring down the fever
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 9:03 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• we have always been told that if you need too you can rotate Tylenol and Motrin every 2 to 3 hours. for the Motrin I was told that I could give the childrens Motrin just make sure i call the doc for the right dose for her weight (the ER can tell you over the phone too). Keep in mind that the dose for Tylenol stays the same no matter how high the fever. Motrin changes. for Motrin for a fever under 102.5 you give the normal dose, over 102.5 you double the dose. My hospital gave me the paperwork with weights and doses which has helped a lot.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 9:05 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Yep. Alternate. Tylenol, wait 4 hours, motrin, wait 4 hours, tylenol, etc.
    Don't forget icy pops - pedilyte makes frozen pops too. Most drug stores care them right next to the bottles of pedialyte.

And as long as you get the fever under 102.5, don't worry too much. Just keep her comfortable and let the fever do it's work - killing germs.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:05 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Another option is giving her pedi-lite popsicles or just plain popsicles. They are refreshing for her to enjoy while cooling her down & having enough fluids.

onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 9:08 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Alright, here's another question. Anyone got any suggestions on getting her to drink the pedialyte? They only had the unflavored kind at the store I went to and she is refusing outright to drink it and is crying for kool-aid. Her doc said nothing but pedialyte for 24 hours..
    Galikian

Answer by Galikian at 9:10 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• make sure you keep her in normal clothes, if you undress her and she gets cold then her body will raise her temp even more. don't let her get chill bumps if possible
    setliff

Answer by setliff at 9:11 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• mine won't drink it either... all you can do is try to get her to drink something, prob not dairy though... as long as she will drink something and she isn't loosing it by throwing up or anything then she will be ok.
    setliff

Answer by setliff at 9:13 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Thanks everyone!
    Galikian

Answer by Galikian at 9:19 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• You could also try to trick her with the pedialyte. Add a few drops of food color and a tiny bit of sugar to sweeten it if needed. Instant "kool-aid".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:38 PM on Feb. 5, 2009