Epidural?

For you mothers who have used the epidural and for those who have not, which method do you think is best? I wasn't able to have an epidural with my first pregnancy but I am able to this time around but I kind of have this fear of being paralyzed. Does it really feel like you are paralyzed? and how long does it usually last after the delivery? Has any one ever done it both ways?

Blaire23

Asked by Blaire23 at 9:11 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's different for everyone. I had an epidural at about 10am, had my son at 2:30 pm and still couldnt walk at midnight. It doesnt effect everyone like that though. For my next child I def. plan to go without.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 9:13 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I will never go without one. I was up walking within half an hour after delivery, and from my understanding they even offer 'walking epidurals' now.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:22 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• i had one it was nice id prob not get another one because it gave me a sever headache wich i later found out does occasionally happen however i have a high pain tolerance so if i can go w/o next time i would w/ my DD i got one at the very last min anyway i was 8 and 1/2 centimeters at 10:30 and was gave birth at 11:16 my epidural was at 10:15 so at that point it was kinad like why and now im babbling lol sorry
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 9:52 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I had both, my first was natural, my second was epi and it ws great, no headaches, nothing, my thirs I had an epi too but it only worked on the right side of my body so I still felt everything on my left side, no problems for me with them tho, if I was to have another baby(which I am not bc Ive been fixed hehe) I would get another one
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:00 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• like the others said its different for everyone. but i had the epidural for both of my kids and well it helped for those painful contractions but when it came time to push i felted every single thing... after i had second son i had the shakes really bad... don't know if its from the epidural or not but it sucked lol
    proudyoungmom87

Answer by proudyoungmom87 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• i went without one with both my boys and plan to go without one this time.
    Anonymous

• I did not have medicated births and my experiences were exhilarating, fun, amazing... I wouldn't do it any other way!! :-D

I can't imagine lying down for childbirth~ not to mention the many other great risks that come with epidurals... Being free to do whatever I needed to do was extremely important to help me cope. Besides, with my waterbirths, I had very (!!) little pain while submerged.

There are many things moms can do that are safer and really satisfying.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:17 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I have had both with my first two children I didnt have anything but with my third I just couldnt handle the pain anymore. (I am so afraid of needles that is why I didnt get on with baby # 1&2) I wish that I would have just stuck it out.(Even though it was nice not to feel the contractions anymore.) I have really bad back pains now after having the epidural. Sometimes it hurts so bad that I cant move. I got my epidural at 8:00p.m. and I had my baby at 9:06p.m and I think I finally regaind feeling in my legs at around 12:00 a.m I hope that this helps.
    Anonymous

• I had one & felt fine I think I would of died without one I didnt feel as if I coudnt move I was fine
    Anonymous

• I to had an epidural. My third child I had to wait till I got done taking some meds for her not to come, so I had to wait and I dialated to six and omg it hurt bad. I know some women don't even feel the pain of child birth. Wish it were me. I had an epidural for all four of my children, the only thing is... well after my first baby my back has been hurting and getting worse every year. This my not happen to you. Just want to let you know. You need to get some info about an epidural and way your options. I do know epidural they give you for child birth is what doctors call a "blind epidural" meaning that when doctors do epidural they usually take x-rays and make sure that they don't hit a nerve or anything. Pretty scary stuff. This is why I say do some info searching and find out what really is going on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Feb. 6, 2009