Kitten Discipline..is it possible?

We adopted a kitty when he was 16 weeks old. He is cute, affectionate and a TERROR! About 11:00 PM he starts to spaz out and becomes crazy and defiant. He tries to scratch the leather couch, he destroyed my son's baseball chair, takes off the table cloth, claws the dining room chairs, scratches the windows trying to chase his shadow in the sliding glass mirror and seemingly purposely targets the stuff we have removed him from or chased him away from previously. He is still young and while I think he will eventually a good candidate for the great outdoors he is small and is still not completely out of the woods and cleared for Feline Leukemia (his mother had it but thus far the tests have been negative)

I have already tried increasing his play time to be sure he has activity and attention before the bewitching hour and it has not helped. Last night I had to put him in the crate in the bathroom with the door closed at 2:00 AM so I could sleep and because I already suffered about $100 worth of damages to the house.

Any suggestions on kitty discipline and getting him to be calmer or at least stay away from the major no no's?

hotelmom123

Asked by hotelmom123 at 11:05 AM on Aug. 29, 2012 in Pets

• I agree with smiley, rehome him. Not every cat is a good house cat.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 4:30 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• Thanks guys. I am going to keep him. It is my commitment and the remainder of the time he really is a sweet little guy. I am going to get him cleared once and for all with the vet and assuming that he his not sick I am going to let him rome. Our neighborhood is pretty safe and cat friendly. I think he really needs it. Please understand I have had cats and kittens before and I have never ever seen anything like this. I am sure he will grow out of it and if I can give him room to romp even if I have to crate him at night I won't feel he is so confined.

hotelmom123

Comment by hotelmom123 (original poster) at 1:08 PM on Aug. 31, 2012

• If you let him roam you are risking death by car, poison, snake bite, trap... If that is a risk yo are willing to take so be it but putting him outside is not the answer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:09 PM on Sep. 2, 2012