Birthday!

My son is turning six in a few weeks and my sons dad and I haven't been together in almost six years. We have always done separate parties now all of a sudden he wants to do joint birthday party. I told him no that it's better to have separate ones because our families do not get along and my son will have just chaos if we have a joint party. He is mad. I think I handled this well any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Aug. 29, 2012 in General Parenting

• Stand your ground. It sounds like he wants to ride your coat tails for a party for monetary reasons, maybe. You do your thing and don't tell him the date.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 11:18 AM on Aug. 29, 2012

• Good idea. Remind him this is for your son, not him.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:28 AM on Aug. 29, 2012

• Did he say why he thought a joint party would be a good idea?
    By this agr I was more into the party for the child and friends rather than family.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:42 AM on Aug. 29, 2012

• Dardenella- he didn't really specify. I wouldn't have a joint party because the families don't get along so its better to do things separately.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:46 AM on Aug. 29, 2012

• IDK,, does he get to invite his friends? I would think it is the best thing for your son that you all could make an effort to get along,, I know you can't be responsible for your family's behavior,, I am not sure if he was trying to make an effort or just being cheap,, hopefully by next year he can have a friends party and do cake and ice cream with any family seperate.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:59 AM on Aug. 29, 2012

• kimigogo- If I invite his family my family won't go and I am not going to not have my family there when they have helped me put this party together for my son. It's not my family that cannot keep their mouth shut. It's my sons fathers family who cannot. And I am doing whats best for my son by not inviting his dad or family. He doesn't want to have a party because he didn't save money for a party. Not my problem.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:15 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

• Well then you are doing the right thing,, don't you wish people could just straighten up when it comes to kids?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:22 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

• kimigogo- even if they got along I probably wouldn't have a joint party. I prefer to do separate ones we aren't a family anymore I broke up with him for a reason.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Aug. 29, 2012