This is for my homeschoolin’ mommas, and my teachers, educational experts, mothers of children with dyslexia, etc.

Hello everyone!

I Homeschool. I have 3 children (age 10, age 5, and age 19months). My 10yr old is where we started the homeschooling journey....and he gets better and better as time goes on. Yes, we have our hiccups, for he's still doing quite well. Well, I also Homeschool my other kids too...but at this point, it's not like (of course) the level that my 10yr old is on.

Well, yesterday, I had a conversation with a young lady in my building that is struggling with sooooo much.

One of her struggles is her 12yr old. He has (finally/recently) been diagnosed with dyslexia. The problem is, they keep passing him on from one grade to the next, meanwhile, he can not read, do math, or write (from what the mom tells me) on a 12yr old/6th-7th grade level. He’s still at a 2nd grade level. So I said, with her permission, that I’d try to help him as much as I can. We live in Chicago…our Mayor and Governor have closed schools, gotten tighter and stricter on school zoning, fired teachers, and cut the funding for education. The government, PERIOD is slashing educational funding as well as free/reduced price meals for the babies! So, I want to help as much as I can!

My son (the 10yr old) also seemed to have some borderline dyslexic tendencies, along with some issues regarding math (dyscalculia...that's what I read and learned from the research. Some of you may already be familiar with it, but it's like a mathematic version of dyslexia. But with time, prayer, research and study, I’ve helped him in these areas. It took time, patience, practice and going as slow as needed to help him, but it’s paid off. His confidence in himself has risen, he’s doing pretty good.

For the young lady’s son, I want to research and study up on some ways to help him, but since I’ve never met him, I’d like to get some assistance/help on ways to help him. From what I’ve gathered just thinking about my son and from what I’ve heard about hers...this is what I understand thus far:

*comprehension wise, he's good! She said that he's not 'stupid'/'dumb' or anything like that...so it seems that he can understand and comprehend well. She feels he also is aware that something is 'off' or different about him.
-with respect to this point, I was thinking of maybe interviewing him, get to know him, and then find out what he likes; what he's interested in...And then maybe find resources and tools catered around what he likes that will help him.

*she said he spaces out...his mind wanders, he looses focus quickly and it's like she'll be talking to him, but he's not listening to a word she's saying. And it sounds like he does quite often, quite easy. I told her [just based on my opinion, and based on what I’ve seen with my son] he does that as an escape. I’ll talk to my son and he'll get bored instantly, ESPECIALLY if it's not something that he wants to hear either because it's not of interest, or because I’ve talked 'too long' and used 'too many words' (these are the words used to describe me from my son and my hubby...loll)
-with respect to this point, I also was thinking of making the conversation all about him. Really just talk and listen to him. Not take any notes or anything (I’ll do all of that later), just have an honest discussion with him. and, just like what I’ve stated already, I’ll talk to him about what he wants, what he likes, and what he's interested in.

*she said that the school(s) he's attended prior to the one he's at now, did not evaluate him, did not test him, and now the schools don't or 'can't' give an 'F' as a failing grade. So his report card just looked like straight 'D's'. He's not turning in homework, his handwriting is very very lacking, and yet, they keep passing him on to the next grade level. Now, I don't know much about the 'no kid left behind' but, it sounds like that's what happened here. Also, I’ve been told that some teachers HAVE to pass the kids on to the next grades or risk the chance of getting terminated fro their teaching position.

So.....with all that being said, I just really want to help this mom and her son. She’s dealing with so much, but I'd like to help him. I just want to know what to do. He’s not my baby, but I’m concerned for him, and I don't think she has the money to pay for expensive tutors...so I want to be her free, on-site help.

Do you ladies think I can do it?
Would you all do it?
Have you done it?
What can I do to help her?

Thank you ladies (in advance) for your help!
You ladies have a great day!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Aug. 29, 2012 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think before you start, he needs a work up from his doctor,, I am not saying he is or isn't ADD, but it would help you, him and her, if you knew exactly what his diagnosis is.. IMO you are doing a nice thing, but maybe he just needs behavior therapy from someone as well. It is evident he isn't getting it at school, and if you take this on will your 3 kids suffer from it? I would perhaps become his tutor, but would draw the line at homeschooling him as well. Have her start with the child's doctor and go from there.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:46 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

• @kimigogo...thank you so much...I will ask the mom today (if she comes down to talk today) about what's going on. I think she did mention the doctor's and their suggestions, but we didn't get into a lengthy discussion about it. she's got a host of things going on, and this seems to be the mildest problem for her. not say she doesn't care, but this poor woman has it bad. in terms of my kids, what we're going to do for the regular school session (i homeschool year round) starting in september, i'm going to have them get up early to get a early start to their day...do 4 hours with them, that way, by the time her and her son get home, if he's ready and available, then that will not interfere with my 3. he can, on a public school day off, even sit in with us and maybe do a project or two with us. here, we won't make him feel bad anything like that, we'll all pitch in to help!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:26 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

• I have discalculia. It's not a formal diagnosis, but 18 of 20 symptoms apply. If I ever go back to school I'll get a formal diagnosis.

This Letter to a Math Teacher says it the best.

I would sit down and work with him a few days, to see where he needs the most help. Then, I'd research those areas.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:31 PM on Aug. 29, 2012