BLAMING the VICTIM of RAPE

I can't believe this is still so prevelant in today's society!! What the fuck is wrong with people?? And this attitude came from a woman!!! 

I honestly couldn't believe the bullshit that came from her fingertips!! Victims fault for wearing a short skirt. For being in the wrong place. WTF!?!? Are you REALLY that ignorant??? I really want this person (and they know who they are) to explain how the victim was at fault in the following situations: 

-- little girl/boy is taken from their yard and brutally raped ... they were wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

-- elderly woman walking down the street after dark ... she is wearing a skirt, caridgan, high collar blouse, carrying a purse and a small bag of groceries ... she is dragged into the alley and raped repeatedly. 

-- Muslim woman wearing full cover is sweeping her front porch ... she is dragged back into her home and raped repeatedly for hours.

-- teenager working in a pizza joint, closing up ... pants and t-shirt. 

-- young woman comes out of a night club with her friends ... girls night out ... she's wearing heels, short skirt and sleeveless top ... she's walking to her car ... she is attacked and raped

So what exactly did these people do to deserve to be brutally assaulted???

NO ONE, and I repeat NO ONE deserves to be raped. Do you even grasp that rape IS NOT about sex? It is about control!! Control of someone weaker than the attacker. 

One final question ... what needs to be done to get rid of this arcane and incredibly harmful attitude towards the victims of rape? As long as the "blame the victim" idea is still there, women will not report their rapes. 

This really bears repeating one more time IT IS NOT THE VICTIMS FAULT FOR BEING RAPED!!!

SpiritedWitch

Asked by SpiritedWitch at 12:32 PM on Aug. 29, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Yeah,that statement floored me as well
    You know how men just can't control their animal urges when they see some female skin showing. *eye roll*
    We should lock ourselves away so men don't rape us. We might accidentally show a bra strap and send a man into a frenzy

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:37 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

• I was shocked as well. And from someone who said she too had been raped! I don't even know where to start.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 12:39 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

• ok, ok..was mowing the lawn..link?
    or was it poofed, too?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:41 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

• the question is gone

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:46 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

• Correct me if I am wrong, Spirited, but I think it is in reference to my post.  I would have kept it open longer but had kind of a family friend emergency and didn't want to deal with moderating, her ignorance, and my family situation.

theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 12:47 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

• MOM ... it is. I have been stewing about that comment all night. It just pissed me off to no end!! I just could not believe the ignorance!!
    SpiritedWitch

Comment by SpiritedWitch (original poster) at 12:49 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

• Rape isn't always about control. It's about sex, sometimes, too.

One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes women will have consensual sex and then cry 'rape' to get someone in trouble...
    Moseley

Answer by Moseley at 12:50 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

****

Rape is ALWAYS about control. Also, that cry rape shit is not that common - it's a bullshit myth perpetuated by people who want to use that as an excuse to not take rape seriously.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:53 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

• I don't think anyone DESERVES to be raped and no matter the situation nothing constitues it or makes it okay but I do believe there are things women can do to not put themselves in a high risk situatuation. None of those scenarios listed however seem to apply as they are "normal" activities.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

• People like that needs to be offed just like rapers. I hate ignorant thinking like that. The blame always goes to victim.
    Well she shouldnt have worn that
    She shouldnt have been walking alone
    She should have had a home security system
    NEVER the rapers fault. It pisses me off so bad.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:56 PM on Aug. 29, 2012