BLAMING the VICTIM of RAPE

I can't believe this is still so prevelant in today's society!! What the fuck is wrong with people?? And this attitude came from a woman!!! 

I honestly couldn't believe the bullshit that came from her fingertips!! Victims fault for wearing a short skirt. For being in the wrong place. WTF!?!? Are you REALLY that ignorant??? I really want this person (and they know who they are) to explain how the victim was at fault in the following situations: 

-- little girl/boy is taken from their yard and brutally raped ... they were wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

-- elderly woman walking down the street after dark ... she is wearing a skirt, caridgan, high collar blouse, carrying a purse and a small bag of groceries ... she is dragged into the alley and raped repeatedly. 

-- Muslim woman wearing full cover is sweeping her front porch ... she is dragged back into her home and raped repeatedly for hours.

-- teenager working in a pizza joint, closing up ... pants and t-shirt. 

-- young woman comes out of a night club with her friends ... girls night out ... she's wearing heels, short skirt and sleeveless top ... she's walking to her car ... she is attacked and raped

So what exactly did these people do to deserve to be brutally assaulted???

NO ONE, and I repeat NO ONE deserves to be raped. Do you even grasp that rape IS NOT about sex? It is about control!! Control of someone weaker than the attacker. 

One final question ... what needs to be done to get rid of this arcane and incredibly harmful attitude towards the victims of rape? As long as the "blame the victim" idea is still there, women will not report their rapes. 

This really bears repeating one more time IT IS NOT THE VICTIMS FAULT FOR BEING RAPED!!!

SpiritedWitch

Asked by SpiritedWitch at 12:32 PM on Aug. 29, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Moseley, according to RAINN, less than 2% of reported rapes are false or made up. Another common misrepresentation of victims is that belief right there. This is a great example of another hurdle that victims have to get over. People constantly saying things like, Well she just regrets her decision and is now calling it rape, or she is just crying rape. Statistically it is highly improbable that someone who says they were raped is making it up. Circulating information like that is part of the problem. It is statements like that that keep women from coming forward. A victims greatest fear in speaking out is often not being believed.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 12:56 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

• is this ignorant thinking from someone on CM?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:57 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

• Anon, You can take all the precautions in the world and still become a victim. And even those who maybe made a foolish decision ... They cannot be held responsible for the choices and actions of another person. They cannot be held accountable because their perpetrator chose to abuse and not protect. They cannot be held to blame because someone took advantage of a poor decision. They can only be held responsible for making proactive decisions in the future to help protect themselves. BUT, even then, as mentioned earlier, you can take all the precautions in the world and still end up the victim.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 1:00 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

• yes, lost. Read the answers posted in the link I left on the first page.
    theMOMmission

• I am a rape survivor
    I spoke out and I was beat down and dragged through the mud. They never went after my raper. Blamed me. I was in jeans and a regular tshirt. I was a "good" girl at the time. Never had sex never flirted. She of males. How did I deserve it? In the coarse of 3 yrs he raped 3 more girls and is currently in prison for another rape.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:01 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

• I wonder how many people who have opinions about rape have actually been raped...
    Moseley

Answer by Moseley at 1:02 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

• Well, let's take a poll on this question.

I have. Lost just stated she had. And considering that 1 out of 6 women are raped in their lifetime, it is a pretty high chance that many of the other people speaking out have as well.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 1:04 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

• Lost, I am sorry. I am so glad he is finally doing time for what he did.
    theMOMmission

• MOM - I agree. I never said they are to be blamed even if they made a foolish decision nor did I say that it's possible to prevent rape in every circumstance. Plus, I did say no matter what it is not right and of course they are not accountable for another's actions. However, I'm saying there is a way to at least not put yourself in a high risk situation. If a women does put herself in that situation does it make it okay or would she be to blame if something happened? Absolutely not. But maybe, that time anyway, it could have been prevented had she made smarter decisions. But again, that does not make it HER fault.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

• Moseley, my stepfather was THIS close to raping me one night

I'm wondering why being raped gives you the upper hand when it comes to the discussion of rape.
    Rape is just basically having the person forcibly TAKE something that was not offered. It doesn't matter if you're walking down a dark alley at midnight butt ass naked. You don't deserve to be violated

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:12 PM on Aug. 29, 2012