Preschool back to school shopping -for moms with kids in school

So preschool starts a little later for my son than most--next Tuesday. I fondly remember going back to school shopping and the excitement and anticipation of wearing/getting new stuff. I asked my son if he wanted to go back to school shopping the other day and he asked if I would just buy all his stuff on-line. Perusing his closet I discovered that right about now he does not really actually need anything and figure the sales will get better after everyone is done shopping. Do you think I should still go out and get him a few things to make him feel like school starting is special or do you have any other ideas to make the day momentus without the mall? What did you get your preschooler for back to school this year?

hotelmom123

Asked by hotelmom123 at 1:49 PM on Aug. 29, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• All I tell you is this - my 10 year old considers shopping a form of torture. He always has. It's not fun. It's not special. It's just torture. He gets a new outfit for the first day of school and other than telling me what he won't be caught dead wearing, he has no desire to participate in the process. Of course, I do show him pictures online and he'll give me a "NO!" or "It's ok I guess." If I suggest buying school supplies - well it's another form of torture. He likes school, but that doesn't mean he likes enough to give up a lazy summer. ;)

My DD, on the other hand, needs no excuse to go shopping. You even begin to say "mall" or "store" and she's in the car waiting for you to catch up. She'll be 8 next week and this is not at all new.

Back to school shopping may just not be the exciting tradition for your son that was for you. That's fine. Make new traditions. (cont. next box)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:05 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• I usually get my kids at least one new outfit for the first day even if they don't need anything - but I do buy most of their clothes throughout the years as needed when sales hit. Make a special breakfast the first morning - their favorite, whatever it is - my kids wanted sausage biscuits this year! I always make sure I have chocolate chip cookies coming out of the oven shortly after they walk in the door now, but when they were younger and for my 3 yo we will make them together when he gets home.

Answer by missanc at 2:59 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

• Maybe a couple of shirts, but he doesn't think it is a deal, so I wouldn't press it, plus they grow so fast, in a couple of months he is going to need new clothes anyway, I say save your money.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:29 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

• If nothing else, every kid gets a new outfit for the first day.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:14 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

• well we had to have school supplies for LO this year but I alwyas bought a new blanket/beach towel for nap time that was the only thing new we really did in preschool
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 1:55 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

• If it special to you then, yes do it. Try to get him out with you making it fun and I bet once he gets out then he will see all to choose from and it will turn out to be exciting for him.
    Rpthib

Answer by Rpthib at 2:13 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

• my daughter is 4 and going to pre school we went all out, but.. only cause her older brothers got new stuff I wanted to make her feel special to..
    ajrjj05

Answer by ajrjj05 at 2:18 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

• From the time my oldest started preschool we have carried out our own traditions. They do get new sneakers (which DS is happy to shop for, actually.) We get one new outfit (already discussed his joy over that one. ROFL!) The day before they go to school we do something special. We go out to dinner. We spend the evening at the beach. We make s'mores. Whatever. We leave it up to the kids. I do work part-time but I'm home by 3:30. The kids are with my parents during the day so on Tuesday they'll do something fun with Grandma and Papa. When I get home we'll do something else, have our special dinner, get our backpacks and lunch boxes set and ready. The morning of the first day we have a special breakfast. This year we're going out to their favorite breakfast cafe. We take photos. We make a big fuss. When they get home, we'll have a "back to school" party. I make them cupcakes and we celebrate. :)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:08 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• (Oh, in fairness, I don't make cupcakes just because they're back in school. ROFL! My DD has food allergies and we keep a stash of snacks in the nurses office freezer for her. I make the cupcakes so she has a batch to take in for her stash. I keep a few home for our after school day 1 party.)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:10 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• my ds transitioned from daycare to the center's preK program..there was no big to-do about it. nothing to buy.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:51 PM on Aug. 29, 2012