• In the Spotlight:

Is it rude for another mom to say that I have no control over my 2 y/o?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yes and no.

kinda rude, but if it's true then maybe it needs to be said to you.

if you were at that person's house or in a public place, not as rude as if it were in your own home.

Anonymous

• What 2 y/o do you know is perfectly behaved??? I have seen plenty of children act a fool in public places and I have never said anything to the parent. I just think that some things should not be said to a person that you dont know. Im not going to beat him, make a scene, scream and carry on. From what I hear they grow out of that stuff.
    Anonymous

• well sometimes they do grow out of it and sometimes not...they do however have to be taught how to behave....teaching does not mean beatings and yelling tho. I have seen kids much older do some major stuff that should have been stopped when they were younger, so mom be careful. I was not there, but your child most have been doing something major for a stranger to say something to you like that
    Anonymous

• rude yes,
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:33 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Absolutely rude, but people do it so often.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:03 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• to get a real answer, better to just put the whole story!! What was really happening when the comment was made?!
    ryras_mommy

Answer by ryras_mommy at 11:22 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• It depends on what was going on and the setting when the comment was made.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:05 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• My son was in the hospital for a rash that had spread throughout his body. He was itchy, restless, hungry and tired of the process in the emergency room. I tried not to irritat anyone else so I took him to the kids room so that we can have some privacy. That worked for a while then we were called in to see the doctor and the nurse placesd us in a room that they cut into 3 rooms. We were int eh middle one and my son was whining and itching and just being uncomfortable. The lady on the other side of the curtain pulls it back then says to me can I please keep my son quiet b/c she has a a massive migrain headache and can't stand to hear any noise. I proceed to tell her that he is 2 y/o and not feeling well right now but I will try my best. She says that if i had any control over my son he would listen to me and that I need to start disciplining him right now b/c he might be a problem when he gets older...I LOST IT AFTER THAT!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• That is unacceptable. She was probably cranky because she was in pain, but it's still very rude. I was going to say if it was a close friend or family member that was saying it out of concern it would be one thing. Honestly I get cranky and antsy in the ER I can imagine a 2 yo holding it together! Don't give it another thought. I hope your lo is feeling better! Poor little guy...
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:11 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Mom dont let what she said bother you, she was in pain too and was just trying to get releif like your son, under this type of setting, your son was acting the way he should, he was sick, if you were the one with the migraine you might have said the same thing to a mom next door. Hospitals are never quiet much less the ER.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:55 AM on Feb. 6, 2009