Has anybody here had a midwife ???

Just curious about it ?? what did they do for you and does anybody suggest one or know one that is good???

Leilany1019

Asked by Leilany1019 at 9:21 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • thanks for the comments everyone
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 9:36 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I had an ob with my first and then for #2 & #3 I had a midwife (same one for each)

OMG! If I ever get pregnant again, I will use a midwife!!!

I loved mine!

and just so you know, they are not all the "natural no meds, water birth, etc" kind.

I just really liked that she had less clients and spent her time on ME not dealing with tons of patients.
    Anonymous

• I used one for my first child becuase my Dr. was an ass and when he walked in my room I told him, the nurse and my husband " this man will not deliver my child" he( the Dr.) walked out of the room and a few minutes later a midwife came in and she was great
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:25 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I have a great midwife! I am 16 weeks pregnant and am planning a beautiful homebirth with her. I love that I go to my prenatal appointments and we sit and drink tea and talk for a good 1/2 hour before we do the "medical" stuff. She is very gentle and kind and listens to me...and most of all, she actually is excited for me! I had a regular OB with a hospital birth with my first and I can tell you that the difference in care is HUGE! I highly recommend going with one...and you know what the crazy part is? My midwife is only charging me 4,000.00 for all the prenatal apt, the birth and 6 postnatal apt! And, to top it off she says that after the birth, she'll throw a load of laundrey in, clean up and cook us some dinner :) (Oh, and she has a doula on her team that is available to me too)
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 9:29 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• ohh..thats cool cause my dr. doesnt support my choice for a vbac and i was think midwife
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 9:29 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I would at least make an appointment and talk to a midwife! I bet you will be surprised and change to her immediately :)
    Anonymous

• I went through the midwives in my practice. There were four that rotated. It's just like with an OB. Some of them are really great and some of them are really horrible. Have you noticed that some mothers on Cafemom that lean toward the natural techniques can be very helpful and compassionate, while others can be harsh and almost militant about their beliefs? Midwives can run the gamut from one end of the spectrum to the other. The nice thing is that you can count on fewer interventions with the midwife, if you are high risk they'll refer you to an OB anyway. Some midwives also lean a little bit more on the science side of things rather than the nature side. Those midwives would be more willing to strip your membranes or rupture your bag of waters for you. It all depends on what you are looking for in your provider.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:36 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I wanted to add that I am doing a VBAC as well...and my midwife has only had one mother end up at the hospital (due to pre eclampsia) in 16 years and she's done a ton of VBACS!
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 9:36 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• The Dr. might be right on this one, a VBAC is risky in its self, that might be why is against it, if something happens and you uterus ruptures you will need medical/surgical help ASAP.
    Because of the high risk, you can have a midwife at the hospital with you to deliver but if you do need more medical interventions you will be in a hospital to reduce you and the babys risk.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:38 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Cont.

I would suggest that you make a list of what is most important to you. From there you should be able to make a decsion on a type of provider. For example, do you want an experiance where you can discuss your every feeling and emotion, or do you just want them to check your body and you baby and get on with it? Do you plan on having a drug free labor? (You can have a midwife and still have pain meds if you choose). Do you want to give birth in a hospital, or in a birth center?

Good luck! And remember that no matter what you choose the outcome is a beautiful baby and that is what is the most important thing!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:39 PM on Feb. 5, 2009