• In the Spotlight:

Are those energy light bulbs better than the regular bulbs?

We have had our for awhile now and ok with it I like it bright but I can get use to these energy saving ones. I heard that if one breaks you need to be far from it and do so many steps and precedures to clean it up it is bad for your health. (because it has mercury in them)
Anyway the bulbs in the dining room are starting to flicker then they turn on it scares me because of what I have heard of what I just mentioned above.
I am afraid they might burst and then what.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Yes they are a lot brighter and they last longer, we have switched all of old light bulbs for those!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 9:56 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I'm stubborn, I don't like the looks of them so I'm sticking with the old ones.... I don't change bulbs that often and at night when the monsters are in bed I have one light on... I don't think I'm using a lot of energy.. So nope, don't like them... Oh and they don't fit in our new light fixtures, and they would look funny if they did...
    Anonymous

• I love them! All my fixtures have them now but everytime I changed an old one out for a new bulb, I watched my electric bill go down! It is great! When we first moved in (all the bulbs were the incandescent, old bulbs), my bill was $150-175 a month. Since switching, my bill now averages $115-120.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 10:13 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Oh and they last forever! I haven't had one blow yet and we've had them for 2 years already. My MIL has finally had the first one she used blow, but she'd gotten it like 5 years ago!
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 10:15 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I'm going to be hoarding incandescent bulbs in preparation of their ban in a few years. I've already broken two CFLs and the panic is not worth it. The last one was when my 3 yr old pulled a lamp off a shelf, so he was right there. With kids, things break. Bulbs will break. Mercury will be released into the home. I have no idea if I got everything cleaned up properly. It's not worth the headache to save a few pennies. My sanity and health are worth the extra from using regular bulbs.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:24 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I don't know if it's because they are in fixtures that have fans but ours have all burnt out in about the same time as a regular bulb. I had 2 in my ceiling fan and 1 regular and a couple months ago the regular bulb burnt out (it was a few months old). A few days later one of those energy efficient ones burnt out, too. The 3rd one (also an energy bulb) started flickering.

I refuse to put them in the fixtures near the kids because they are careless and I'm afraid they could break one and just the thought of cleaning one up and disposing of it scares me (because of the mercury). They are mostly in our overhead lights and in the basement.

I don't worry about the flickering, though. Our florescent lights (the regular kind) in the basement flicker all the time because they are off balance.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:05 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I love them! Have changed all the bulbs in my house to these and they last forever! All mine have been in over a year and 1/2 never changed one!
    Scrapmom73

Answer by Scrapmom73 at 8:27 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I LOVE THEM!! I changed all mine and my electric bill plummeted. I have at least 3 that have not been turned off in over 3 years. They last forever.
    LibraryLady200

Answer by LibraryLady200 at 8:36 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I loved them. We switched over two years ago. I have not replaced ONE bulb in that time. They burn brighter and cooler. My power bill dropped $35-$50 per month. I don't know about the mercury, I've never had one break on me.
    supermom11995

Answer by supermom11995 at 8:50 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• we love them. we've been slowly switching over - slowly, just because they are so expensive - but they really are worth it.

your light is not going to burst w/o being dropped. incandescents never did and these won't either. they flicker because they are flourescent, just like the big long flourescents in shops flicker with you turn them on. they take a while to reach their full potential.

you better get used to them anyway, since our LOVELY new president will be socializing even our LIGHTBULBS soon.

*huff* ridiculous.....
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 9:34 AM on Feb. 6, 2009