Pumping?

Who else has pumped and fed their breastmilk as an alternative to nursing? I did with my first daughter because she was really small and had eating issues and I wanted to know how much she was getting. I was able to keep it up for 7 months before I had to start supplementing.

This time I thought I would be able to nurse a lot better, but not really. This baby is a little lazy and wont latch on to the other breast after she is finished with the first, but she's also a little piggy and wants more...she's not real keen on waiting either...so I've been pumping and feeding again.

It is time consuming, but I think it is best that she gets the milk. I was wondering if there was anyone else out there that has done this and what your reasons were?

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 9:27 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I pumped a lot with my daughter...mostly because I kept getting mastitis infections. She had a killer suck and although she latched on great, she just kept making my nipples bleed and crack. Finally, I gave up nursing on my left breast (where I kept getting the infections) and only pumped on that side and nursed on my right. I think that it's great you are making this extra effort so that your baby gets the best nutrition possible. You're an awesome mom!
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 9:33 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I have done this for quite a while mainly because she gets distracted during the day so its easier to give her the bottle. And besides that once she is done on one side and burps she usually doesn't want to go to the other side. so i figured that she was more satisfied if she could have everything I pumped. I also have a supply in the freezer that my DH can use if I happen to go to work once in a while. I don't mind the pumping and feeding. I BF at nite because shes not really awake and isn't distracted. The way I look at it is as long as shes getting the breastmilk its better than nothing. good luck.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:34 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I nurse when I can [I work 50 hours a week] and I pump when I can't. I have to supplement a little bit but I think a lot of that is just because my son is such a big munchkin!! {8 months old and 34 inches long and 23 pounds!]
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 9:42 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• my son had a really hard time latching on when he was born. we'd be up all night trying to get him to stop crying and eat...i didnt buy a pump until a few months later. I kept trying and trying and tryin to get him to latch on and he finally got it. one thing that helped was NOT using pacifiers..they can confuse a newborn cause the feel is different and the way they suck it is different from the breast. No my son is 6months old and just started baby cereal, all hes ever had before is breastmilk and i only pumped to have bottles to leave for daddy when i went to work.
    MomCakes

Answer by MomCakes at 10:51 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• yes. i had one of those serious pumps you rent & i did it for 6 months. even so, i still had to supplement. i had issues with not being able to produce enough milk & her with not latching. the pumping wouldn't have been so bad if i were giving a lot of milk but i wasn't. i thought it was vitally important that she have my breastmilk (and i still do) but the one negative thing i will say about it is that it made me not want to hold her & play with her as much because i got so little time between pumping & feeding & cleaning all the stuff. i also was sore & depressed. a few women i talked to said similar things & that once they just went over to formula they enjoyed their babies a lot more. i'm not saying this is right, wrong or otherwise. i'm just saying. Good luck.
    cpyrrha

Answer by cpyrrha at 11:09 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I pumped for my dd because when she was born they put her in the NICU. They gave her breast milk in her feeding tube and then they would give it to her in a bottle. The reason I kept pumping is because she got to where she would not latch on. She had gotten so used to the bottle that she refused to latch on. She would cry for 10 min and I finally told my dh that is was not worth her getting upset and that I would continue to pump for her. She got the breast milk that she needed and that is all that mattered to me.
    emilyhopesmom

Answer by emilyhopesmom at 11:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I am doing the same thing with my son. I want to know how much he is eating and he gets easily distracted or falls asleep while breastfeeding. He is a little piggy and eats more than I make anyway, so I do have to supplement him. I honestly believe feeding him this way is what is helping him sleep thru the night rather than falling asleep while nursing and waking up not too long after bc he is hungry again
    kayjay8806

Answer by kayjay8806 at 9:40 PM on Feb. 7, 2009