help....please?

My son is going on 8 months old. He's a happy, cheerful, smiley baby. Until about 7pm. He gets a bath around 6:30 or 7, then I nurse him and he goes to bed. Or rather, he gets put in his crib. He can be so tired that he can barely keep his eyes open, but he will NOT go to sleep. He just cries and cries and I don't know what to do. He still wakes up 2-3 times during the night and NEVER goes back to sleep!! He is EBF and I'm at my wits end. He doesnt want to nurse, or need a diaper change, he just WONT go to sleep! and I've tried letting him cry it out but sometimes he just goes on and on for over an hour and sometimes longer!! I don't know what to do and I'm so upset....someone help me please I'm a first time mom and I have no answers for this. I've tried rocking him, holding him, soft music, nightlight, EVERYTHING. and nothing works.

AidensMommy608

Asked by AidensMommy608 at 9:36 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried swaddling him...sometimes when they jerk in theri sleep, it wakes them up. Other than that Im sorry I just rock my DD to sleep and we cosleep so its easier for me.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:37 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• yes....tried swaddling....tried co-sleeping for awhile but didnt work out for all parties {DH or baby}
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 9:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Mabey he is ready for cereal before bed? Is he being fed at all? BF may not be enough to keep him satisfied for the night. Keep him up for an hour longer, give him a warm bath with lavender. Perhaps his nap in the afternoon is to late or to long.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 9:42 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• is he over tired ? over tired babies do not sleep well, that could be one thing.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:44 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I tried the crying it out too it just did not work for me. I decided if the baby was happier sleeping in bed with me that meant I would also get a better nights rest.  My DH would sleep on the couch he actually rather sleep on the couch and not deal with crying.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 9:48 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• yes, he has cereal and solids...this has only been going on for about a month [haha...only] he takes a warm bath with the Johnsons bedtime baby wash thats supposed to be calming. oftentimes he will go to sleep at 8 but wake up at 11 and not go back to sleep.
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 9:49 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I would try readjusting his schedule, and reevaluate his routine. It may need a little tweeking in the department of naps. I would make sure that his last nap isn't to late or too early for him. My LO kind of sets her own schedule when it comes to naps. I have her up by 7 and to bed at 8. This works well for us. But if she lays down at 630 she is still up at 7. I am very strict on bedtime. You also have to remember that you can't go running in when he starts to cry. If you doesn't want to nurse or need a diaper, just let him self soothe. The CIO method can take upto a week to fully work. If that is the method that you want to use, but check on him every 10 mns or so, so that he knows that you haven't forgotten about him, but don't pick him up. I wish you all the luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:21 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• He might be over tired or over stimulated. Try putting him down a little earlier in the evening, and get a bedtime routine that lasts AN HOUR. I know that's sooo long, but that's the appropriate amount of time to get him nice and relaxed and ready for bed. I would start with fifteen minutes earlier per night, rather than just putting him to bed, for example, an hour earlier than usual.

Also, try buying and reading The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. This book WORKS. It takes an effort, but you'll be so thankful you did it. No baby ever needs to CIO. It's cruel. Baby's dont just cry for no reason, they need something, and they need YOU.
    Anonymous

• I think the day time schedule just needs some readjusting, I know I put both my kids to bed around 9 o'clock, but they also get a nap at 3 and wake up at 4. My son is 4 and my daugher is about 8 months. I would not put the child in bed with you. I have know alot of parents that do that and have a very hard time breaking the habit as the child gets older. I got my daughter to sleep through the night at 3 months using the cry it our method. it took only 4 days! But every child is different. Maybe the child needs a binky or something to suck on.
    MAMMA2DYANDTY

Answer by MAMMA2DYANDTY at 11:29 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• It may jus be separation anxiety.
    My son went through a small bout of it when he was that age.
    If you are okay with administering tylenol, give him a half dose, or even a full dose, before you put him in the bath, that way it has time to kick in and the heat from the bath will relax him and hopefully by the time he gets done nursing, he will be out.
    Or you could try TeethingTabs, they are homeopathic (herbal) and they soothe and calm the baby. IT is supposed to be for teething, but it wont hurt him if you give it to him when he's not, they just calm babies naturally.
    I would also try cereal about an hour before his bedtime, that way he will still have a little bit of calories to go on, because breast milk isn't very much.
    also, if you dont have a nightlight for him, get him one. Sometimes being in the dark is enough to freak them out because they can't see anything.

IF these suggestions dont fit with you, ask your pedi
    deacons_mommy07

Answer by deacons_mommy07 at 8:24 AM on Feb. 6, 2009