Sons 16th B-Day... Sorry it's kinda long....

I never ask questions under my screen name but I thought I'd go ahead with this one..

Our oldest turns 16 on Friday. He didn't want a party, no friends over, just something with us. So he picked his favorite restaurant, and that's what he wants to do after school. Saturday we're taking him out to the local off road park with his dirt bike, but that's not a b-day present, just something he wants to do....

He already has his own vehicle, he worked very hard helping my Hubby rebuild the engine, and He has his permit, so he will be taking his drivers test on Wed the 5th of Sept. I'm taking him out of school for that. So that's part of his present.
I ordered him a small cake at a local bakery that makes amazing cakes.
It's an 8 inch half mint chocolate, and half chocolate fox dirt bike cake. He's going to love it. But I thought I would take it to the restaurant and drop it off, and ask if they would bring it out, and sing to him. I know it will embarrass him, but he's a good sport, and I think he'll get a good laugh out of it.
We're then giving him his first cell phone, he's going to love it... He's worked so hard in school, and has helped his Dad so much working in the shop. He's also had a great attitude, so we felt this would be a great present. He has no idea he's getting one.

So, do you think that's enough? I know it doesn't seem like much, but it's all I could think of..
Thanks for reading!

MrsLeftlane

Asked by MrsLeftlane at 10:56 PM on Aug. 29, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• It sounds like a great gift to me. If you really want to add to it, maybe a gas gift card or something, but I think the cell phone is perfect!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:14 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

• Sounds awesome to me. You've got a good kid there.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:13 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

• It all sounds great to me! Its a lot more than I got for my 16th birthday. lol.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 10:58 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

• Sounds better than my 16th birthday.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:01 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

• SOunds great. If you want to do more you could give him a new car wash kit (either gift card to a car wash or a bucket with new shammy and all), new floor mats, and maybe some money for his bank account for college later on
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 5:12 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• Sounds perfect to me. You could throw in a gift certificate for gas if you want to add something.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:24 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• My dd's birthday is also Friday. We normally go out to the birthday person's choice of restaurant but she wants me to buy her favorite Chilean sea bass and lobster is also on sale at $5.99/lb so I'm getting some sea bass and a 6 lb. lobster and making side dishes to go with it. In NJ they get their permit at 16 but they have to take a "behind-the-wheel" lesson from a licensed driving school, which runs $400. So that's her birthday present. We invited some friends over to join us for dinner. They are bringing their own lobster but I'll make cole slaw and potato salad and get a cake. That's all she wants. She can't wait to drive. Unfortunately, the teacher that takes her out is booked until late Sept.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:06 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• Honestly I'm relieved... I thought that 16 was a party b-day, but I didn't want to force it on him. He's so laid back, and we are so fortunate to have such a great son.

Thanks Ladies!
    MrsLeftlane

Comment by MrsLeftlane (original poster) at 11:19 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

• sounds pretty good to me!

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:48 PM on Aug. 29, 2012

• It all sounds great to me too. Make sure before you hand over that cell phone that he knows what will happen if you find out he's using it while driving tho! Have a great celebration! :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:10 AM on Aug. 30, 2012