Officials says they may have to intentionally breech the levee in LA...

The governor say they need to make a hole on the east bank of Plaquemines Parish, a fishing community south of New Orleans, to relieve pressure on the structure. Thus just remids me of what happened during the Great Mississippi Flood of 1927. The govt in LA made a hole in a levee in New Orleans, in the same place ironically enough. The govt needed to save the city, but at the citizens cost. They claimed they would pay these folks back and help rebuild, but it never happened. I wonder what will happen now.....

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:20 AM on Aug. 30, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• This is what they did AFTER Katrina hit the MS gulf coast. NOLA had a leak in the levees and to control where the water went, they broke them. Then they whole thing collapsed. And yes, FEMA did step in and write them big fat checks. I'm sure that will be the case in this situation. Luckily, both MS and LA have declared states of disaster, so fema will be able to aid us. I'm east of Biloxi, Ms and it is wicked right now! Alot of our coast is under water too. And tornadoes left and right. I'm gonna be up all night :(
    Watch_me_burn

Answer by Watch_me_burn at 1:19 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• " NOLA had a leak in the levees and to control where the water went, they broke them."
    You are talking about Katrina? NOLA didn't do anything to the levee. The primary cause of the flooding was inadequate design and construction by the Corps of Engineers. There has been a number of investigations on the levee failing, and no evidence of TNT or anything else was found. I know the fact the the NOLA mayor back in 1927 ordered the blowing up the same sections that flood during Katrina, and now Issac.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 2:28 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• No, I remember watching it on the news the day after, once we got our generator hooked up, they breached it in a low population area to redirect the water off the more populated areas. I agree, it was because of inadequate design. Had they held up to begin with, there would've been no need to redirect the water. But I cannot believe the levees they built this time were only 8ft. in Plaquemines Parish! That was just stupid.
    Watch_me_burn

Answer by Watch_me_burn at 9:59 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• The Levee board, the ones that control the money for the upkeep of the levees, are as corrupt as Chicago politicians. The money is NOT spent where is should be. THAT is why the levees failed during Katrina. They were NOT kept up. The MAYOR didn't evacuate HIS city. The PEOPLE destroyed the super dome acting like animals and the Governor did NOT ask for federal help like the chain dictates must happen.........and yet SOME HOW it was Bush's fault. Wonder how they will manage to make THIS one his fault too.....It IS stupid Watch....but the more corners they cute the more they have to line their pockets!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:19 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• Momof030404.....I agree completely about the levee boards being corrupt, 100%. But the Mayor did evacuate, ordered mandatory evacuations for all. Many did leave, he just didn't order evacuations in time. But, that fact is personal responsibility. Everyone knew Katrina was a cat 5 coming in. My aunt was living there during that time. Many couldn't leave cause of lack of transportation, money, and the "call wolf syndrome." IDK about the governor calling for aid or what not. But I do know Mississippi had help in under 24 hrs after Katrina hit. NOLA, had 3 days. The super dome was destroyed during Katrina, the people didn't help it though. But do you expect when you have thousands of people in one place, no food, no power, dead bodies laying about, no water.....3 days......
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 7:38 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• Watch_me_burn....The 1st levee breached within the first few hours of Katrina hitting land.
    ": But I cannot believe the levees they built this time were only 8ft. in Plaquemines Parish! That was just stupid..."
    8 feet is awfully high! If the levees during Katrina was that high, the flooding wouldn't have happened. Issac has dropped more rain then Katrina did. But do you expect when you have a city so damn far BELOW sea level??
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 7:42 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• I'm assuming you are getting your information second hand? Unless you were on the Ms Gulf Coast, you cannot possibly know the damage, or when we received aid. Mississippi did have help within 24 hours, it was us getting out after the storm and saving our own, rather than killing them. We were just as bad off as NOLA as far as food, water, and electricity. It was 3 weeks ATLEAST before we received any of that NATIONALLY. Of course we received local help, because we do not wait on the government to pick up the pieces, we did it ourselves.
    Watch_me_burn

Answer by Watch_me_burn at 11:18 AM on Aug. 31, 2012

• Watch_me_burn....I evacuated out of NOLA. While I wasn't living there at the time, I was staying with friends and family for about a month before Katrina hit. I lost 3 friends in that storm. I just earlier then we had intended. Had I known it would have been that bad, and the govt did what they did, I would have dragged them all out kicking and screaming, at gun point if it was necessary. But there has been so many false alarms, we all fell into the cry wolf category. Sorta like tornado warnings, people hear the sirens, but just watch and wait. But you comment " We were just as bad off as NOLA as far as food, water, and electricity..." While it does suck to be without the basic essentials you were not as bad as NOLA . I have been through hurricanes when I lived in FL. Hurricane Opal and Erin. Just about 2 weeks with alkl that stuff. But then you compound that with smell of dead bodies
    >>>
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 10:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2012

• >>sewage, and find out a few of NOLA police officers walked off the job, and the other shelter was being terrorized by gangs, and other lowlife thugs that like to beat people while they are down. No it was not NOLA best moment. But this was before any help arrived. A few of my friends told me they were stuck on their roof for 2 days before the National Guard came and was without food and water. In the heat and the sun and surrounded by sewage and gators. It pisses me off that there were folks killing one another after all that happened. As I said, relief workers, medical help, security forces, and essential supplies remained profoundly inadequate during the first critical days after Katrina hit. Some even don'tr receive help until 5 days has passed, or Sept 2nd. It also didn't help that the lowlife thugs where shooting at some workers who wanted to help. But the thugs wanted to keep control. Fucking idiots.

Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 10:31 PM on Aug. 31, 2012

• Let me ask you a question..say you had stayed..and your husband was law enforcement....What would you have wanted him to do? I would've made my husband quit. Why add to the death toll trying to save people acting like that? Like I said, there were just as many displaced residents here in mississippi trying to survive. When law enforcement or anyone came to help us, we shook their hand and thanked them for all they did. I would not want my husband or anyone I love risking their lives.
    Watch_me_burn

Answer by Watch_me_burn at 12:02 PM on Sep. 1, 2012