I saw just some of yesterday's republican's convention

was carig for daughter and was not able to see it all the way through, and saw none of nights

last night's coverage....
all I heard was God, God, God ... how many times was God mentioned?

Is God on the ticket?

I was turned off !
I do not care if a candidate believes in a God or not.
but I do expect that they keep their own belief to themselves
and
OUT of MY government

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 12:24 AM on Aug. 30, 2012 in Religious Debate

• I expect them to use their beliefs to inform their political stance. That is a given for anyone. What I don't need is it to be used as a bargaining chip and an excuse why we should vote for them and all to often republicans use their religion as exactly that. They seem to think the more they mention God= more votes.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:17 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• I'm sure they didn't realize that it was only "your" government.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• the GOP is crazy when it comes to catering to the religious "right".

Crazy is the correct word, too. They don't seem to realize that demographic is steadily shrinking as the older ones die off and new ones don't join. Very few people become new militant Christians out of the blue. It's more common for a militant Christian to have an awakening and realize they might actually be wrong about a few things and lighten up.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:47 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• People like that don't have faith. they use god at their convienence. (I cannot spell that damn word!)
    How can others not see through that?? It's such bullshit.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:55 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• This country was founded on Christian beliefs, but the two parties that exist extort each other and no one is fixing the problems in this country
    *******************************************************************************************
    no this country was not founded on christian beliefs.
    Aside from that, what does one's religious beliefs have to do with fixing the problems in this country?
    Nothing.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:22 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• A person's belief and following of God certainly informs their political stances. I don't see how you can expect otherwise.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:53 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• IDK, it doesn't really bother me that much. adnilm has a point, many politicians use their foundations as a way to guide them on legislation. It's better to know what they believe rather than be blindsided.

It's sort of funny that the same concerns are brought up in every election cycle, yet very little changes.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:12 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• well they've gotta get the votes and if they dont mention God the recommenced number of times, ppl will be mad at them. the GOP is crazy when it comes to catering to the religious "right".
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:45 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

>>>
    I can go along with that. I don't think it's a great strategy to wear God as your campaign button
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:43 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• I totally agree with you!

Answer by older at 10:43 AM on Aug. 30, 2012