I saw just some of yesterday's republican's convention

was carig for daughter and was not able to see it all the way through, and saw none of nights

last night's coverage....
all I heard was God, God, God ... how many times was God mentioned?

Is God on the ticket?

I was turned off !
I do not care if a candidate believes in a God or not.
but I do expect that they keep their own belief to themselves
and
OUT of MY government

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 12:24 AM on Aug. 30, 2012 in Religious Debate

• I expect them to use their beliefs to inform their political stance. That is a given for anyone. What I don't need is it to be used as a bargaining chip and an excuse why we should vote for them and all to often republicans use their religion as exactly that. They seem to think the more they mention God= more votes.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:17 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• Totally with you here. That wasn't the only part of the convention that made me sick, but it was a big one.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 6:59 PM on Sep. 10, 2012

• Considering that Article VI states that "no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States", it certainly seems that religious beliefs are THE test that Americans want their elected officials to pass.  I don't care whether Obama is a Christian, a Muslim, agnostic, or whatever.  What I care about is that he is familiar with the Constitution and with protecting the rights of citizens.  What I see from the GOP is a desire to impose the beliefs of the Religious Right upon all citizens, which is a frightening proposition.  They really do sound like the American Taliban, especially when they are making this election about who is the most devout and most religious, and who they think will make those religious beliefs into laws that govern all citizens - Christian or not. 

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:07 PM on Sep. 2, 2012

• I noticed that God was mentioned quite often. I couldn't stand it anymore so I went upstairs to read instead and left dh to watch it alone. I don't care if a person turns to God when making certain decisions, but I really don't like the assumption that every. single. Republican is Christian. It completely turned me off to the point that I doubt I'll be voting this year... again.

I also think that God is being used, and I'm pretty sure that's something that the Big Guy will remember when "judgement" time comes. Some of these Republicans will surely be quite surprised at where they end up after they die!
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:32 PM on Sep. 1, 2012

• I'm not completly interested in a person's faith. Nor the over use of religion in politics. I am not comfortable with religion being what guides a politician's decisions. I do find knowing the background of a person's history, including faith, helps me to determine if I find them genuine. I would equally be fine with someone who said they were athiest or agnostic. But being open and real to glimpse who you are as a person. It is a balancing act because honestly I do not care to know every detail but just enough to get an idea of what brought you here to this place and time to be running for office. Mostly just your views on issues and agenda for the term to come.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:33 PM on Sep. 1, 2012

• Separation of church and state !
    A candidate's religion shoud not be an issue. I don't care if they even HAVE a religion. It should not influence how they lead our nation and shoudn't influence decisions. If you ladies think it should matter....well, that does not make me or anyone else who uses their brain happy.It would be a little disturbing.
    lga1965

Answer by lga1965 at 2:47 PM on Sep. 1, 2012

• Thing is at least you know where Romeny stands with religion. He has practiced what he preaches. With Obama you don't know what he is. He says he's Christian but he sure doesn't practice it. I'd rather vote for an athiest who admits it then someone who says he's a Christian but doesn't practice it and I am a Christian.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:45 PM on Aug. 31, 2012

• It's ironic that we have a post about this being offensive, but I've seen nothing on CM about how tacky it is for Code Pink to be dancing around in those ridiculous "vagina" costumes (which look more like vulvas, so they may want to repeat high school biology).

I do hear what you are saying, OP, but I think they wanted to show themselves in stark contrast to the party that champions itself as speaking for women when they demand that the public pay for their birth control and abortions.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:32 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• i haven't watched any of it..however, my take is any pol will use any platform that will garner more votes, from whatever audience he is speaking to. or her, for that matter. any social issue, any family issue, health, etc.
    if they'd all stop pandering to the hot group o' the day, and actually focus on the real need of the country, something might actually change for the better. now THAT would be a change i can believe in. not the crap that's been served up so far.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2012

• Yes I really feel like God is being used, and I doubt he appreciates it.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:36 PM on Aug. 30, 2012