I saw just some of yesterday's republican's convention

was carig for daughter and was not able to see it all the way through, and saw none of nights

last night's coverage....
all I heard was God, God, God ... how many times was God mentioned?

Is God on the ticket?

I was turned off !
I do not care if a candidate believes in a God or not.
but I do expect that they keep their own belief to themselves
and
OUT of MY government

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 12:24 AM on Aug. 30, 2012 in Religious Debate

• I expect them to use their beliefs to inform their political stance. That is a given for anyone. What I don't need is it to be used as a bargaining chip and an excuse why we should vote for them and all to often republicans use their religion as exactly that. They seem to think the more they mention God= more votes.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:17 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• I'm sure they didn't realize that it was only "your" government.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• A person's belief and following of God certainly informs their political stances. I don't see how you can expect otherwise.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:53 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• IDK, it doesn't really bother me that much. adnilm has a point, many politicians use their foundations as a way to guide them on legislation. It's better to know what they believe rather than be blindsided.

It's sort of funny that the same concerns are brought up in every election cycle, yet very little changes.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:12 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• I totally agree with you!

Answer by older at 10:43 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• guide them, give them strength in tpugh times etc etc etc
    but when making speeches upon speeches
    i felt it was sunday morning religion channel

again- i was not able to watch it all the way through (being mom- so heard only parts)
    but every time i walked throught the room and heard parts- it was God wants this, and God wants that
    ..it felt more like a church service than gov speeches

be as religious as you want- but speak of issues that YOU see need attention that God

believe me- if God was running for office- she would get my vote, but She is not- so i want to hear what the people in office are going to do
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

Answer by Anonymous

it is MY gov and yours, and yours, and yours.....
    not just people who believe in a God
    i thought others might be even more turned off than me
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 11:32 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• well they've gotta get the votes and if they dont mention God the recommenced number of times, ppl will be mad at them. the GOP is crazy when it comes to catering to the religious "right".
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:45 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

• the GOP is crazy when it comes to catering to the religious "right".

Crazy is the correct word, too. They don't seem to realize that demographic is steadily shrinking as the older ones die off and new ones don't join. Very few people become new militant Christians out of the blue. It's more common for a militant Christian to have an awakening and realize they might actually be wrong about a few things and lighten up.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:47 AM on Aug. 30, 2012

>>>
    I can go along with that. I don't think it's a great strategy to wear God as your campaign button
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:43 PM on Aug. 30, 2012