I'm new here.. Hi everyone. Has anyone ever run into anything such as this?

I think my 9 year old daughter might be getting sexually active! This is going to give me an ulser. I think her own privacy is important but I have seen some of the texts from her friends and this scares me! I have not told her that I know about this but I need a good reason to take away her cell phone.

april27mom

Asked by april27mom at 10:21 PM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• First of all, children do need some sort of privacy. Otherwise they will never learn to grow into independent adults. When it comes to the cell phone, its not hers, its yours. She just gets to use it. Any call or text she makes or receives  IS YOUR BUSINESS. Especially if you are afraid she may be experimenting with sex. I would tell her to let her friends know that those kinds of texts are not allowed and she will get her phone taken if it happens again. Then, if it does happen again..... TAKE HER PHONE! And she's only 9.... its perfectly acceptable to not allow hert to go anywhere where there might be a chance she could have sex. Also.... If you haven't had "the talk" with her, do it now!! She needs to know the consequences of her actions. If you have had the talk, talk some more. You can never talk to your kids too much!

drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 10:43 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Tell her that she has had to many texts in the last month and you want her phone back.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:23 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• First off, why does a 9 year old need a cell phone!? And what the hell is this world coming to! She's 9! If you think something is going on act ASAP!!!!
    Anonymous

• I'm with the PP poster tell her she is over her phone usage limits or just be honest w/her and tell her about it and have that sex talk with her. 9 yrs old is so young, speak to her about that she is still in an influential stage of her life.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 10:26 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Sit down with her and tell her you want to see her cell phone. If she asks why say because I'm your mother and I care about you and I need to look at it. Tell her flat out that you happened to see a couple of them. That alone is enough cause for you to take it away and look at it. But do it with her if you are really that worried about her privacy. Then talk to her about it.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 10:28 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• what in the heck is a 9 year old doing with a danged cell phone?
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 10:53 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Her privacy is NOT important. You are not her friend. You are her parent, her guide to adulthood, her protector. How can you guide and protect if you don't know what's going on? How can you spot the 40 year old man who's sending her nasty emails? How can you spot the 9th grade boy who thinks she's his easy ticket to "manhood"?

PRY. BE NOSY. If she won't show you her phone, cancel the account.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:07 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• i was against the cell phone. my mom gave my 9, 10 and 11 year old a cell phone for Christmas. after i found out it was the type that you can refill with minutes i still was not okay with it. i still phones check everyday. they stay home while at school and only go any where with them if and only if they would need them for 911. i stll have not refilled the minutes. they can wait until they are at least in 11th or 12th grade for cell phone. my sister (27 years old) even set up my 11 year old a web address. can you guess how fast that got shut down? it made me so mad. if you get a cell phone for a child get only the ones that you can refill with minutes you buy. and on your computer on trusted sites makes sure u put the site that u refill the min. with is on the non-trusted sites that way u have to have a pass word only u will know. not the child, that's on any computer when it comes to your website refill min..no tell kids..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• WTH is your 9 yr old doing with a cell phone?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• 9 yr olds dont get "privacy". A 9 yr old is a CHILD. You should know every single thing she is doing, all the time!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Feb. 6, 2009